AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Freezer defrosting question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 8/10/2024 15:17 (#10846084 - in reply to #10845959)
Subject: RE: Freezer defrosting question

Faunsdale, AL
Is it unplugged? Old manual defrost units had a defrost position on thermostat that you could set and come back in 12-24 hours and the ice would be melted and the cabinet temp still cool-ish.

This defrost position is not the same as off.

Problem with the later units was there was nothing to catch all the melt water, so it made a mess. The old Frigidaire we had when I was growing up had a large glass container under the freezer compartment that caught all the melt water.

My mother would pour off a pint of cream (really about like half and half) from every gallon of milk we brought home from the dairy that had a chance to sit overnight before we were drinking it. When enough of those pint jars had accumulated to crowd the little refrigerator, she would declare a churn butter and defrost the refrigerator day. She never waited on the ice to melt by using the defrost position, she always used your methods.

Just no sharp utensils! I think that was a sure way for housewives to get a new refrigerator when their husband didn’t see the need! Had some cousins that had an old one with the round “cheese hoop” radiator on top of the cabinet. One of the kids stuck a hole in it with a knife while defrosting. It had sulfur dioxide refrigerant in it I think it was. Had to ventilate the house real quick!

Edited by ccjersey 8/10/2024 15:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)