AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time to Beat a Dead Horse
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mav
Posted 4/7/2024 08:37 (#10697235 - in reply to #10697154)
Subject: RE: Time to Beat a Dead Horse

Per usual, most will miss my point. My whole stance is not about whether the call was a foul or not. Likewise, it has nothing to do with who ended up being the victor. Once again, my point is that refs need to refrain from making subjective calls in the final seconds of games. There seems to be an overwhelming opinion here that there was no question to the call, it was a pure moving screen .... to which I beg the differ. The first video is not to determine right or wrong, but rather give a quick reference of the many misconceptions that people use to make a judgement ... this particular case being the moving screen violation. Oh and by the way, you are more than welcome to not participate in this conversation if you are so bothered by it.

But just for kicks, let's look at three quick screening misconceptions that have already been made:

The screener cannot be moving: False. See 5:37 in the video.

The screener cannot have their feet apart: False. See 5:05 in the video.

The screener cannot initiate contact: False. See combination of 5:15 to 6:36.

To me, the contact issue is the most controversial since a quick determination has to be make whether the contact (yes, basketball IS IN FACT A CONTACT SPORT) was absorbed or administered by the screener. On the flip side to that, it must be noted that a defender is not allowed to push through a screen and that determination cannot be based on the "look" of the outcome.

The angle and playback speed of the second video demonstrates much of the reason for the discrepancy. From the distance, the screening action looks to align with that of a screening foul. But up close and slowed down, I am not quite so sure. It really comes down to splitting hairs.

But like earlier, I'm sure there will be many on here to help guide people like me who have learning disorders and no knowledge of the game. What I find quite fascinating, is that the following people shown here must also have no knowledge of the game of basketball when based off the feedback I have received on the matter.

Mav

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)