AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mounting grain cart scale head in tractor, best place to do so.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mohr-power
Posted 1/29/2024 22:33 (#10599934 - in reply to #10595973)
Subject: RE: Mounting grain cart scale head in tractor, best place to do so.

West-Central IL

My tractor had a set of factory monitor bolt holes in the back left corner post. I put the scale head there as well as a camera monitor (camera is mounted above tractor cab to help look into truck as it fills. FYI, don't mount a camera on the auger as it vibrates too much.). With grain carts pumping out 1000 plus bushels a minute now, turning your head around for a second to check the readout could result in turning it back around to see corn pouring over the side. Or when you check the scale your already overweight. In my opinion, if you have a left-hand auger, the readout needs to be right in front of the rear left hand corner post. Unloading is when the grain cart operator is in the most stressful part of his day. Why do you even need to know the cart weight while dumping on the go. The combine driver should be paying attention and shut the combine auger off. (I do have an ipad mounted on the right rear corner post attached to a wireless camera on the combine so the cart driver can see exactly what the combine driver sees. That way he can see if the cart is getting full and needs to speed up or slow down to fill the front and back of the cart). The only time you need to look at the scales while the combine is unloading is to see if you have enough to fill a truck. With autosteer, its pretty easy to turn around and check the scale. If combine driver has good really good eyesight and display has a large readout, the combine driver can see the readout as well because it is facing the combine. But when the grain cart gate is wide open, loading the truck is very, very intense. Set your system up to make the most difficult part of the job easier. Keep your hand on the hydaulic lever that runs the gate, and you never have to turn around. With the blink of an eye, you can check the weight and never move your head. Same with the ipad for unloading on the go. I put it on the right side because the driver is already swung around in the seat watching the combine. By just looking down with his eyeballs, he can verify his position on the ipad. Put the monitors where you will be looking when you are using them the most.

PS. Do be careful about drilling a hole in the corner post and hitting a wiring harness or A/C line! Also, the monitors do not affect someone sitting in the buddy seat!  I know that's a lot more than you asked about, but while you're at it, I thought I would give you some more ideas to think about.  Good luck.

Edited by mohr-power 1/29/2024 23:08

(100_2703 (full).JPG)

(P1060526 (full).JPG)

(P1060522 (full).JPG)

(100_2684 (full).JPG)

(100_2651 (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_2703 (full).JPG (79KB - 13 downloads)
Attachments P1060526 (full).JPG (145KB - 13 downloads)
Attachments P1060522 (full).JPG (152KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments 100_2684 (full).JPG (105KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments 100_2651 (full).JPG (111KB - 8 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)