AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4X4 OR 6X6 Deck posts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chris
Posted 10/1/2012 23:29 (#2618925)
Subject: 4X4 OR 6X6 Deck posts

East central Iowa

I need to build a small deck.  30" tall, 8' wide and 4' or 5' deep.

I was thinking of just using 4X4 treated for the supports.  But I wonder if they will rot off.  Are there different grades?  Basic design is pretty simple and pretty common.  It will not be attached to the house and probably won't be used much.  It's more of an entrance to a area that most people aren't going to use.

(deck.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments deck.jpg (24KB - 509 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Illinois John
Posted 10/1/2012 23:44 (#2618959 - in reply to #2618925)
Subject: RE: 4X4 OR 6X6 Deck posts

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

Chris - 10/1/2012 22:29

I need to build a small deck.  30" tall, 8' wide and 4' or 5' deep.

I was thinking of just using 4X4 treated for the supports.  But I wonder if they will rot off.  Are there different grades?  Basic design is pretty simple and pretty common.  It will not be attached to the house and probably won't be used much.  It's more of an entrance to a area that most people aren't going to use.

Treated lumber today is very different than years ago, won't last as long.  It has been my experience that most posts rot off at ground level.  For that reason, I have used plastic covers extending above ground level in the last few projects.  Haven't been there long enough to tell if they help, but compared to previous projects that did rot at ground level, I feel more confident about their longevity.  I have a machine shed made with 6x6 posts built circa 1974 that I had to replace posts next to the big doors, another built in 1972 with 6x6 laminated posts has not yet rotted at ground level, but some of the boards at ground level have rotted.  Both sheds had treated posts. 

swne
Posted 10/2/2012 00:03 (#2618993 - in reply to #2618925)
Subject: Re: 4X4 OR 6X6 Deck posts

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
I would set the 4x4 on a concrete footing. Wont' rot that way and be more solid.
sri
Posted 10/2/2012 00:15 (#2619011 - in reply to #2618925)

nw pa

for a small project like this i would get some plastic laminated materials and build your own poles. nail theree 2 by 6 plastic together with different lenghts to them and sandwich pressure treated above ground and bolt.Don't know why the lumber guys have not come out with a plastic bottom pole. would make things so much better.   see they do have the treated with finger grooves above ground. Just the next step

iseedit
Posted 10/2/2012 08:46 (#2619354 - in reply to #2619011)

central - east central Minnesota -

sri - 10/1/2012 23:15

for a small project like this i would get some plastic laminated materials and build your own poles. nail theree 2 by 6 plastic together with different lenghts to them and sandwich pressure treated above ground and bolt.Don't know why the lumber guys have not come out with a plastic bottom pole. would make things so much better.   see they do have the treated with finger grooves above ground. Just the next step

Plastic is not structrual and it can't take compression loads . . . . . 

guessrow
Posted 10/2/2012 00:59 (#2619058 - in reply to #2618925)
Subject: Sonotube

Le Sueur VIA St.Thomas

Check out the 2nd pic in the link. http://www.bestfinishcarpentry.com/decks-framing.htm You can buy the pier forms and pour a concrete pier- a few inches above grade will do. Set your posts from there. You can even get anchor plates if you wish. Most lumber yards will carry something similar. good luck- jim

Edited by guessrow 10/2/2012 01:00
don@nebr
Posted 10/2/2012 05:21 (#2619107 - in reply to #2618925)

they have post supports, pads where the joist hangers area are. Today both post plates which keep post off concrete and joist hangers for support are great inventions. You can dig post holes and use sono tubes for crete or as I did once, used cheaper stove pipe.
DOUGLAS P
Posted 10/2/2012 07:03 (#2619162 - in reply to #2619107)

Replaced about 10 landscape timbers this summer. Yes, if they touch dirt, they rot. May take 10-15 years, but they do rot.

bob1968
Posted 10/2/2012 07:13 (#2619174 - in reply to #2618925)

There are different grades of treated lumber. Some with enough treatment for ground contact and some with less treatment for above ground exposure. Make sure you get the right lumber. I'd guess a 4x4 would be adequate for the average deck.
iseedit
Posted 10/2/2012 08:55 (#2619375 - in reply to #2618925)

central - east central Minnesota -

If it's not going to be attached to the house, you could simply "float" it on the ground. Setting out a couple patio blocks to set treated material on.
Another option is to "treat" the material with foundation coating. It drys solid and repels moisture and decay.
If I were to consider a post, I'd get Douglas Fur and treat it myself.
Water proofing sovent then after it drys, I'd use foundation coating on the part underground and up a few inches above. Then use some of the butal tape (used for window flashing) and secure that to the portion underground and slightly above the ground level.
The other consideration is to pour a floating slab. As long as the slab is below the rim of the house, so no water could get under siding and agaist the house wall . . . .
Concrete slab could be less money . .
I recently dug footings, set 5 courses of block (stem wall) and poured a 6 inch concrete cap with 2 steps up for my entry - cheaper then a wood / composit material deck of the same design.
My deck / porch will be maintinance free for ever . . . .   I reroded it also. Its strong enough that the backhoe/excavator can sit on it to dig out the basement, if the house ever burned . . . . .

BOGTROTTER
Posted 10/2/2012 09:34 (#2619440 - in reply to #2618925)

Kingston,Mi
I just had a deck built using concrete filled sonotubes then the beams were attached to the concrete piers with metal clips. The beams and joists are .60 retention wood which is suitable for ground contact.The decking is .4 retention (amount of treatment per cubic ft. of wood) and not suitable for ground contact.

Finding .6 treated 4x4 posts may be hard, but nearly all 4x6 posts will be .6 treated and rated for ground contact.

Edited by BOGTROTTER 10/2/2012 09:34
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)