AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Load capacity of a 34' Timpte hopper bottom?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tomosakis
Posted 9/7/2010 19:51 (#1350407)
Subject: Load capacity of a 34' Timpte hopper bottom?

Osakis, MN

What would the approx. legal load be with a Fld 120 daycab M11 cummins,  not 100% sure of the length but not super short, pulling a 34' Timpte aluminum hopper?

I know I know not enough info, but that's what I got right at the moment.  I there is someone that has a 34' aluminum and what are you able to haul to the elevator legally, and how much will it haul filled up?  Just looking for some general advice and guidance.  Is a 34' trailer an awquard length?  They seem to be a little short between the landing gear and tire to get a swing hopper under.  If there is a good reason not to go with a short trailer other then not being long enough to bridge at 80000.  I would like to start out with the short trailer until we get the driveways and such all built for trucks. 

I've always heard that it's bad to be the one riding the short bus.  Is it the same if you're driving the short truck? Smile

How much less is a 34' trailer worth compared to a 38 to 42' if all conditions were about equal?

Edited by tomosakis 9/7/2010 19:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wayneNWAR
Posted 9/7/2010 20:54 (#1350482 - in reply to #1350407)
Subject: RE: Load capacity of a 34' Timpte hopper bottom?

north west arkansas
I have a 38 and can only scale 78000 legally.
jdflyer
Posted 9/7/2010 21:16 (#1350514 - in reply to #1350407)
Subject: Re: Load capacity of a 34' Timpte hopper bottom?

Centralia, MO
I have been running a 30' trailer for years and the temptation is always there to go for a longer trailer but for what I use mine for I think the shorter trailer is better. My setup is legal for 72000 and I typically run 68-70 so I seldom worry about weight limits. I don't think I could over weight if I tried. My farm lot has some limited space areas but I have never gotten in a tight space I couldn't get out of. Working with a swing hopper is OK. I can position in one spot and swing the auger under to hit one hopper and then I have to move the truck about 6 feet to get the other one. When empty you move back to the original spot and get the auger out. People will gripe about having to move back and forth but this setup is so much easier than the old way backing a 2 ton up to a straight auger. I have put my 30' trailer in spots you would have trouble getting a tandem in. I don't haul any long hauls and I don't think I want to with an M11.
FFJR
Posted 9/7/2010 21:30 (#1350543 - in reply to #1350407)

nc IA
I've always heard that it's bad to be the one riding the short bus.  Is it the same if you're driving the short truck? Smile

Now that's just plain funny!

Can't answer directly, but the watching prices on trailers that are listed I can't see it depreciating much - especially if it's an aluminum. Steel, that's another story.
So you should be able to get most of your money back out of it if the last few years hold true.
Ltfire
Posted 9/7/2010 21:52 (#1350579 - in reply to #1350407)

North Central Iowa

I've got a 30' end dump trailer and a 42' hopper bottom.  The 42' trailer is not that much worse to maneuver around and get in and out of driveways. 

I have found that the DOT seems to pay more attention to shorter outfits and if you get pulled over and you're loaded, they'll probably weigh you.  Not a problem if you make sure you load less than legal weight.  I like to haul with the 42' trailer because I look like everybody else going down the road.  In my experience, it doesn't pay to stand out when you pass the little blue cars.

HTH,

Mike

winkill
Posted 9/7/2010 21:52 (#1350580 - in reply to #1350407)

Petersburg, Illinois
We have a 34' tempte on an 03 Freightliner Columbia. Can bridge 75,500. Know that for a fact because ISP had us on their scales two times. With heavy corn, you can physically haul 1000 bu. Legally, depending your EW, 870-890bu.
play in the dirt
Posted 9/7/2010 22:55 (#1350716 - in reply to #1350407)

south central IOWA
Let's face it, the odds of you making the driveways bigger after you have the shorter trailer are pretty slim cause you won't need to.

So now it boils down to if you're gona be made fun of if you have a short trailer. If you go into it thinking that, they'll still be making fun of you even after you leave the elevator. I don't think anyone cares.

I would think the resale market would be a little smaller and less desirable on the short trailers. No one wants to be made fun of. :-)

Coming from experience, I have a 36' flatbed and could give a hoot if someone wants to make fun of me for getting around in town easy.
deereman
Posted 9/7/2010 23:28 (#1350803 - in reply to #1350407)

NE SD
Lots and lots of 34's running around here. I have 2 trailers one is a 38 and I just got a 34 this summer. I have not used the 34 much but did find out you can get over 1000 bu corn on and not be quite full. It seems to be very handy around yard so far. For shorter hauls to and from local elevator I think they are fine. I have it behind a '93 FL112 with a L-10 and pretty short daycab on steel wheels. Mine is a wilson and is about 23800 with not much fuel. I can go to I think 74500 legal. So around 900 legal. As far as resale value I looked and looked for used trailers and they are all way to high priced. I did find this 10yr old 34' and it was super nice but also paid way too much. I really did not find any difference in price based on length. The aluminum's are high in used market but the decent looking steel ones were very expensive also.
Good luck

Edited by deereman 9/7/2010 23:34
farmerbroun
Posted 9/7/2010 23:35 (#1350818 - in reply to #1350407)

I had a 34' steel trailer for a few years. It would hold about 900 bu.of corn, legal. Was usually pretty close to that. THEE best thing about it was, you could get over the swing hopper, park, and move the swing hopper to the rear hopper, without moving the truck. Made for pretty quick dumping at bins. Legal bu on the road is the only reason I sold it. Got what I paid for it, after three yrs. Was only a few yrs old, and in excel shape.
KDD
Posted 9/8/2010 09:57 (#1351199 - in reply to #1350407)

Leesburg, Ohio
We have an '09 model 34' Timpte. It will hold over 1100 bushels of decent test weight corn (59-60lb.). We have to really fill it up to get 1000 bu. of beans on it, but it will fit.

What it will haul legally, I don't really know. I think the bridge laws will limit us to about 850-900 bu., but I have not tried to figure it out for sure. Hope we don't have to learn the hard way! :-( Sure is alot easier getting around with than our 40-footer.

edit: I should add, this 34' trailer has 72" sides, instead of the normal 66" sides.

Edited by KDD 9/8/2010 09:59
farmerbroun
Posted 9/8/2010 13:48 (#1351365 - in reply to #1351199)

Ya keep playin with fire, yer gonna get burned sometime. :)  Unless your not going to town with it.  ?
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)