AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

difference between actechlor and metolachlor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

gsi
Posted 5/4/2010 21:16 (#1185916)
Subject: difference between actechlor and metolachlor?

if i spelled them right......any difference in weed control between the two? thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaKettle
Posted 5/4/2010 21:24 (#1185934 - in reply to #1185916)
Subject: RE: difference between actechlor and metolachlor?

Lenawee Co Michigan
The metolachlor is Dual if I remember right. Acetochlor is the grass killer used in Harness Extra, Keystone etc. Dual used to claim their product would last three weeks longer than Lasso, so that's the only diff I can think of.
Pat H
Posted 5/4/2010 21:27 (#1185937 - in reply to #1185916)
Subject: Re: difference between actechlor and metolachlor?

cropsey, il 61731
Depends on your weed spectrum, but actechlor replaced most metolachlor around here a while back. At the time though the Dual (metolachlor) products were pretty expensive compared to the harness, degree, fultime, surpass, whatever actechlors which may have pushed the change. Personally I've had better results with incorporating acetachlor than metolachlor. To further confuse things it looks like spraying pre-emerge is working better lately and herbicide choice might matter less - at least that's what I'm finding when using 1/2-2/3rd's rates (round up rates).

HTH,

Pat
Mike SE IL
Posted 5/4/2010 21:31 (#1185946 - in reply to #1185916)

West Union, Illinois

I would be surprised to see much difference in actual use as long as comparable  rates are used.  But there is undoubtably some fairly minor differences.

I stumbled across a page you might find interesting :

All Metolachlor Products Equal?

It's from 2004 online at http://www.weeds.iastate.edu/mgmt/2004/stalwart2.shtml

eddie
Posted 5/4/2010 23:57 (#1186256 - in reply to #1185946)

So from what I read from that, I just need to bump up the rate on the generics to get the same control.  Bumping rates 20% is still way cheaper than buying the branded product.
martin
Posted 5/5/2010 02:33 (#1186324 - in reply to #1186256)

I think the problem is - or at least the problem was - that that some of these "common" metolachlor-atrazine pre-mixes had the same label rates as the S-metolachlor-atrazine premixes. So, if you were using the rates at the high end, you could not - legally - use 20% more.  Maybe that's been fixed now.  I heard about that issue years ago, but have not heard it discussed recently. (And it did not pertain to all generics, just some.)

martin
Posted 5/4/2010 21:37 (#1185959 - in reply to #1185916)

It has been my understanding that metoachlor is a bit better on grass control, and acetochlor is a bit better on small-seed broadleaves.  Maybe I am wrong on that, but that has been my impression.  And one acetochlor in particular - no names mentioned Sealed - I think my experiences substantiate that.

I think the article that Mike links to also makes a valid point - not all metoachlor pre-mixes are identical either.

kevin wcmo
Posted 5/4/2010 21:51 (#1185991 - in reply to #1185916)

mora
depends if it were beans or corn? on beans you can use the actechlor for grass and get some waterhemp control as well, can be a pretty cheap pre for beans at times on certain fields.

kevin
ILCORNGROWER
Posted 5/5/2010 20:29 (#1186971 - in reply to #1185991)

Northern Illinois
acetachlor will have activity on small seeded broadleaves, metalachlor won't, I also don't think I would use acetachlor on beans
sprayguy
Posted 5/5/2010 21:55 (#1187116 - in reply to #1186971)

What do you mean metolachlor won't have activity on small seeded broadleaves?

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld0iA023.pdf

ILCORNGROWER
Posted 5/6/2010 20:38 (#1188064 - in reply to #1187116)

Northern Illinois
the reason Dual is called Dual because you can use it on both corn and soybeans, acetachlor is for corn, which one most likely has better broadleaf activity
sprayguy
Posted 5/6/2010 21:50 (#1188155 - in reply to #1188064)

Dual has plenty of broadleaf activity. Your statement "acetachlor will have activity on small seeded broadleaves, metalachlor won't" is just wrong.

oh and probably should throw this one out there, a lot of acetochlor has gone out off label in the past:

http://farmindustrynews.com/crop-protection/herbicides/monsantos-ac...
Monsanto's New Acetochlor Herbicide for Soybeans

Mar 1, 2010 12:00 PM

THE EPA has approved a new formulation of acetochlor, called MON 63410 herbicide, for early post-emergent use in soybeans. Monsanto says the new formulation will help growers control resistance problems with Palmer amaranth (pigweed) and tall waterhemp. The new herbicide is encapsulated to provide more crop safety for soybeans than previous products like Harness and Degree, which are approved for use on corn.

It is also approved for use in cotton and will be introduced in Missouri and southern Illinois, as well as the Southeast and Mid-South

Edited by sprayguy 5/6/2010 21:51
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)