AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GMC Sierra Tailgate won't unlock
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

golfnut
Posted 3/2/2017 20:37 (#5874445)
Subject: GMC Sierra Tailgate won't unlock

Central Nebraska

I locked the tailgate on my pickup this afternoon using the key and am not able to get it unlocked now!  I tried both keys and it turns about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way and then quits.  I've tried pushing and pulling on the tailgate while turning and it doesn't work!  Any suggestions?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
H&T
Posted 3/2/2017 20:50 (#5874495 - in reply to #5874445)
Subject: RE: GMC Sierra Tailgate won't unlock

NE Iowa
I have a 2016 Silverado and the tailgate has been a major issue. My situation has been from the automatic lock, however same outcome, buttons won't unlock it nor would the key. Had to take to dealer twice for the issue in first 25k miles. Both times under warranty, both times they had to change an actuator in the tailgate, they also told me to not get as much dust in there........ Seeing how I live and work on gravel roads, not sure how that is gonna happen.
Posted 3/2/2017 21:15 (#5874564 - in reply to #5874445)

I tried to lock my Sierra tailgate tonight for the first time in awhile. It wouldn't budge.
olwhda
Posted 3/2/2017 21:22 (#5874586 - in reply to #5874564)

Liberty, MO
Oh my goodness, something else to worry about, I have a 16 Silverado too with automatic tailgate lock. The 14 had the key lock , not auto lock and it always worked, more electronic crap.
Busted Knuckles
Posted 3/2/2017 21:43 (#5874642 - in reply to #5874445)

Southeast Minnesota
On the older ones, you could get a pliers up under the handle and pull on the rods that go each direction.

I would spray penetrating oil up under the handle and through the key slot.

Edited by Busted Knuckles 3/2/2017 21:45
satman
Posted 3/3/2017 10:26 (#5875525 - in reply to #5874445)

Langdon, ND
Had the same issue on my 15' chevy. There is a small spring that can get clogged with dust and then it doesn't move as smoothly as normal. Then it doesn't move the lever which actually unlocks the lock. I took the panel off on the tailgate to get to the handle, sprayed some wd40 and moved it around a bit with the key. Has worked fine ever since. I'm sure in dusty conditions this will happen again and again over time especially if you actually use your lock.
H&T
Posted 3/3/2017 11:19 (#5875605 - in reply to #5875525)

NE Iowa
You are lucky that on your 15, the tailgate doesnt automatically lock, on the 16s they do. Both times I was back at the dealer I asked them to set it up to not automatically lock, they claim they cannot change that on the 16s.
golfnut
Posted 3/3/2017 12:15 (#5875691 - in reply to #5875525)

Central Nebraska

satman - 3/3/2017 10:26 Had the same issue on my 15' chevy. There is a small spring that can get clogged with dust and then it doesn't move as smoothly as normal. Then it doesn't move the lever which actually unlocks the lock. I took the panel off on the tailgate to get to the handle, sprayed some wd40 and moved it around a bit with the key. Has worked fine ever since. I'm sure in dusty conditions this will happen again and again over time especially if you actually use your lock.

I got the notification of this message about the exact time that I took it all apart and found the spring packed full of dirt.  Compressed air, brake cleaner, and some silicone lubricant and it works like new. 

Thud
Posted 3/3/2017 14:35 (#5875910 - in reply to #5874445)
Subject: you lock your tailgate??

Near-north Ontario, French River
...Guess that's a new concept to me LOL.... Hard top tourneau cover??
satman
Posted 3/3/2017 16:25 (#5876083 - in reply to #5875691)

Langdon, ND
Glad I almost helped. You'd think with all the engineers at GM they'd have a better design that wouldn't gunk up though. It looks flimsy too. Oh well, at least you know now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)