AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pumping chemical out of totes? / Tender trailer set up
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JamesFarms
Posted 1/24/2017 17:31 (#5791382)
Subject: Pumping chemical out of totes? / Tender trailer set up

fort smith ar
I'm setting up a new tender trailer and trying to figure out the best way to get Chems out of totes into mix cone then to sprayer. See where some suck it out with main water pump and was wondering how you keep from getting contaimination in hoses and pump. Main tote would be pmax and most other chems (24d, water conditioner, atrazine, flexstar, pres, etc.) will be in 2.5gal jugs poured into mix cone. Need a way to pump out of tote up ( no gravity) into mix cone all on top deck of drop deck trailer.

Also those measuring rup totes by the inch how do you know you don't have gallons left over in the hose from the tote when valve is shut? (Airlocked in there I'm thinking?)

I would like to stay away from as many meters and 12v pumps as possible for simplicity. I'm thinking a seperate hose for Chems going to inductor on sprayer so I wouldn't get contamination into fill water hoses and pump.?

Not interested in high dollar mixing system, just something simple and effective. Some ideas and pics of how your mix cone is set up and plumbed would be great.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JamesFarms
Posted 1/24/2017 17:53 (#5791439 - in reply to #5791382)
Subject: RE: Pumping chemical out of totes? / Tender trailer set up

fort smith ar
Here are some pics of the build in progress so you can get an idea of what I'm working with. Want to put mix cone in front of totes on top deck where jugs will be stored on and under shelf in 2nd pic. so it will be close and easy to dump into.

Edited by JamesFarms 1/24/2017 17:57

(IMG_20170121_085836123.jpg)

(IMG_20170121_085854845.jpg)

(IMG_20170118_162716909.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20170121_085836123.jpg (83KB - 451 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20170121_085854845.jpg (91KB - 444 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20170118_162716909.jpg (101KB - 359 downloads)
seedcleaner
Posted 1/24/2017 18:20 (#5791500 - in reply to #5791382)

Mid-Missouri
Simple and effective...

Suck chemical from tote, into pump, and onto sprayer. Measured by mounting tote onto a simple and cheap scale. Can measure anything from a quart of product up to the entire tote (once lines are primed with product).

Why put large volume tote material into mix cone???

Water has flushed "contamination" for me, into sprayer with each load.

Edited by seedcleaner 1/24/2017 22:25
hey
Posted 1/24/2017 18:21 (#5791504 - in reply to #5791382)

I will give you what we have used for about 6 yrs now. It has worked very well for us but everyones situation is different. We have 4 shuttles on the back of a tender truck. Two of those shuttles are a twin tank shuttle that we put together. That means we can haul six different products at one time. We built a manifold system that looks like a bunch of 1" TEE fittings stacked vertically on top of one another. The very top of the tee has a female quick attach with a plug in it so I can hook another shuttle in if needed. We put valves running on the outside of the tees and the very bottom of the tee hooks into a hose leading to a sotera pump and then to a meter. After the meter it runs up the outside of the inductor and dumps in the top. Each valve runs to a shuttle tank with a check valve installed to keep the possibility of back flow into the shuttle. We also have one valve in our block that runs to a fresh water tank so we can clean the manifold, pump and meter at one time. I plumb my inductor before the gas pump. I don't use an educator system on my inductor. I have done this for years and have not seen any more wear on my pump or seals like other have seen. If you would like a picture I can email you one tomorrow of our system. Just a note. This is all on the back of a tandem truck so space was limited for us. Plus I didn't want to get up on the truck to have to load my chemicals and then get back down to finish filling my sprayer.
Lauritsenag
Posted 1/24/2017 18:29 (#5791527 - in reply to #5791382)

Doesn't your chemical dealer sell in bulk? We prepay for our chemicals and they bring them in a tote with a pump and hose. We put them on our trailer with the forklift, works slick! 24d, roundup, everything except dry and fungicides. No 2.5 gal jugs to get rinse and get rid of, and saves a lot of time when filling the sprayer!
Adrian
Posted 1/24/2017 18:38 (#5791545 - in reply to #5791382)

South Georgia
I have a manifold that I can hook up to four 1" hoses to with banjo couplers, each house running to a tote. One side of the manifold has a meter, and the other side has a valve plumbed to fresh water. Zero the meter, turn on the appropriate valve, meter the needed amount of chemical, close valve, then turn on clean water valve to flush chemical out of manifold and plumbing. Check valve on inlet of clean water valve and outlet of meter. Works very well, although with Warrant it would maybe be nice to have bigger plumbing. Anyway, the chemical all goes in the suction side of the pump and out to the sprayer.

As a safety, I mark on the side of each shuttle the level and amount removed each time with a paint pen. If I think I loaded Roundup and I go mark the Roundup shuttle, but it's at the same level as the last mark, then I know to go check to find out what I loaded. Last year once I loaded roundup instead of Gramoxone, when I was spraying peanuts. When I went to mark the shuttle I saw my mistake and drained the sprayer into some shuttles to spray on fences. If I had sprayed it on the peanuts, it would have been bad, so do use this or some sort of safety of you're using more than one chemical.

Adrian
JamesFarms
Posted 1/24/2017 18:48 (#5791576 - in reply to #5791382)

fort smith ar
Sounds like most of you are sucking Chems through pump and out to sprayer...I was afraid of that causing problems with seals in pump and contamination but sounds like fresh water cleans it out enough. That would be the simplest method in my eyes.

Lauritsenag I don't use enough of the other chems to justify buying in bulk totes for everything so we use jugs. We are not in a huge farming area like a lot of you so we don't get some of the perks such as free pumps to use from supplier.
jlase
Posted 1/24/2017 18:57 (#5791611 - in reply to #5791504)

Sounds good. Don't suppose you could get a picture or 2 of this setup.

Cliff SEIA
Posted 1/24/2017 19:06 (#5791640 - in reply to #5791382)

When sucking out of the tote with a transfer pump shut down the water supply to the pump by 1/2, when your done sucking chemical close the valve on the tote and loosen the cam lock coupler enough to let some air in and the pump will suck the hose dry like a shop vac.
JamesFarms
Posted 1/24/2017 19:24 (#5791692 - in reply to #5791640)

fort smith ar
Are you measuring the tote level or using a meter at the tote or somewhere to measure the amount sucked out?
AGDEAL
Posted 1/24/2017 19:24 (#5791697 - in reply to #5791382)

Illinois
How big is a box of chemical ( 2 of the 2.5 gallon jugs)? What about a 2.5 gallon jug?

I have a similar project that I want to make a place to store chemicals.
Cliff SEIA
Posted 1/24/2017 19:28 (#5791711 - in reply to #5791692)

I measure with a tape measure and marker.

(20160505_083714.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20160505_083714.jpg (63KB - 344 downloads)
JamesFarms
Posted 1/24/2017 19:39 (#5791750 - in reply to #5791697)

fort smith ar
It's been a few days since building the shelf for boxes so don't quote me but I think a box is 9x14 approx. That would make jug 9x7ish.
Kelly
Posted 1/24/2017 19:59 (#5791826 - in reply to #5791382)

NC KS
My setup is at home, not on a trailer. I have a 2" line from tote to a couple of T's on suction side of pump. I have a valve on each line right next to the T. I leave the line full until tote is empty. Also use valve on tote but usually close valve by T first. If you pump thick stuff such as Bicep, Lumax, etc, the 2" line handles it much better than 1" or 1 1/4". Those smaller lines take forever tomload even with water supply line partially shut off.
4WD
Posted 1/24/2017 20:31 (#5791930 - in reply to #5791697)

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

AGDEAL - 1/24/2017 19:24 How big is a box of chemical ( 2 of the 2.5 gallon jugs)? What about a 2.5 gallon jug? I have a similar project that I want to make a place to store chemicals.

It varies a little, but seems that a common size is roughly 10.1" Wide x 16" Long . (2 x 2.5 gallons) Some are skinnier and not quite as long, too.

I just ordered up a 2" receiver hitch cargo carrier to add to the back of my 1000 gallon water tender's frame, because I'm running out of room in the back of my 1 ton pickup, for chemicals,  bags of AMS, 30 gallon barrels, and one 275 gallon tote and pump, Crop oil and NIS.

This cargo carrier should be 60" long and 19.75 wide, internal dimensions, so I should get 5 boxes stuffed in there, no problem, and maybe 6 boxes.(Should arrive in 2-4 days)

I wanted 2" receiver hitch style, so I could remove it to park the water tender in storage barn, in the Winter.

Edited by 4WD 1/24/2017 20:33
Lauritsenag
Posted 1/24/2017 21:13 (#5792070 - in reply to #5791576)

I'm a small farmer, 600 acres. Our coop charges very little for shuttles, actually save money as the generic roundup, 24d etc is quite a bit cheaper in bulk verses jugs. I put three totes on a heavy car trailer, have a 1500 gl water tank in my dump truck. I do have a graduated inductor on my sprayer as the meters on their pumps don't always meter correctly. The way you have your trailer set up, the totes would slide right in. All you would have to have is a source of battery power for the pumps.
Schlick55
Posted 1/24/2017 21:43 (#5792162 - in reply to #5791382)

Clear Lake, IA
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=636462&posts=7...

This is how I set up my trailer...
nhermanson
Posted 1/24/2017 21:46 (#5792175 - in reply to #5791382)

Central, IA
I've sucked out of a tote occasionally. Our trailers have a tee between the cone and the inductor. I used the venturi inductor to suck in the chemical rather than the pump itself.

My past experience with sucking things from a cone straight into a pump were frustrating, but many here will tell me I'm wrong and it works just fine. Myself, I would install a chemical inductor after the pump. If you have a lot of chem to get in a small sprayer tank, you'll thank me.

As for volume left in the hose. The 2" hose was 6 feet long and We were sucking in 25+ gallons. The margin of error didnt concern me too much.
tw35
Posted 1/24/2017 23:39 (#5792406 - in reply to #5792175)

Clarke county, IA
If you're putting a lot of chemical in a small tank you'd want inductor on suction side of the pump.
Adrian
Posted 1/25/2017 05:12 (#5792472 - in reply to #5792406)

South Georgia
tw35 - 1/24/2017 23:39

If you're putting a lot of chemical in a small tank you'd want inductor on suction side of the pump.

Amen. I don't know why so many people have an aversion to running chemicals through their transfer pumps. The pumps are basically self priming versions of the same pump that is on their sprayers, although it's generally made of a different material which is used in other places on the same sprayer. I don't understand the big deal.

That's the only way we've ever done it.

Adrian
JamesFarms
Posted 1/25/2017 07:43 (#5792670 - in reply to #5792162)

fort smith ar
Schlick55 that's a nice setup you have there. That is something like what I was wanting to do minus the 3 way valves goin back into your tank. How does that inductor work for you?

Edited by JamesFarms 1/25/2017 07:44
boog
Posted 1/25/2017 12:22 (#5793262 - in reply to #5792472)

We've been sucking chemicals thru our transfer pumps since back in the mid '70s and haven't had a pump issue doing so yet. Our current tender trailer was bought used from another farmer probably 7=8 years ago. Have no idea how much chemicals they pumped thru it but we've sprayed30,000+ acres with it and still using the same pump. Only changes we have made since we purchased it was changing tanks a couple years ago, but still using the same pump. Only thing done to the pump is oil, air filter, & spark plugs changed yearly & occasionally a new pull rope.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)