AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 4430 power beyond manifold install
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 12/12/2016 11:25 (#5692776)
Subject: JD 4430 power beyond manifold install

This question is more of a curiosity thing than anything because I don't need both outlets but what is the point of having two outlets when one of them will interfere with the fill tube for the transmission? Do some other tractors that the power beyond manifold work on have enough clearance there?

If a guy has a need for two power beyond applications (say one for the loader and another for the vac motors on a planter) do you run both of those ports and buy a different fill tube of some sort or do you still leave it plugged and just T off of the hydraulic line that's plugged into the top one?

Basically just trying to figure out what applications there are for the two outlets.

While I'm at it, what's wrong with returning the oil from the mid mount loader valve to the top port instead of to the filter housing like I'm planning on?

Probably not going to change how I'm doing anything but I was just curious what the purpose was. Thanks.

(IMG_5320.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_5320.JPG (87KB - 149 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mschultz
Posted 12/12/2016 12:07 (#5692848 - in reply to #5692776)
Subject: RE: JD 4430 power beyond manifold install

Oregon
You asked about using the top port as a return.

I believe that the top port of the power beyond block is the high pressure supply. At least, this is the way it appears to be plumbed on the New Gen tractor I have with a factory power beyond kit.

Perhaps there are different blocks available.

-Mike
fatboy
Posted 12/12/2016 12:31 (#5692908 - in reply to #5692776)

SE Nebraska
Top port is high pressure and the side port is for return. If it has two side ports, just plug one.
dpilot83
Posted 12/12/2016 13:34 (#5693022 - in reply to #5692776)

Wow, good thing I asked. I never saw anything in the instructions on which was which and I made an assumption. I guess it wouldn't have hurt anything and I would have figured it out when it didn't work but this makes it easier, lol.

That makes sense now that you mention it as well, lol. Thanks.
mschultz
Posted 12/12/2016 13:54 (#5693057 - in reply to #5693022)

Oregon
You still bring up a good question to which I have been unable to find a satisfactory answer: The return.

I understand the issue of returning to the transmission case on those tractors. But I do not understand why a filter housing return would be preferable to a power beyond port return. According to KW- who seems to know his stuff, both returns route back to the front of the tractor in the same way as long as the seal in the rear end is good. So then, why use the filter cover return instead of the power beyond return?

My uneducated and totally inexperienced hunch is that the ported filter housing was developed for the pre'69 New Generation tractors. After the SCV redesign (along with the new power beyond block) the original filter housing return was no longer necessary- but dealers and the aftermarket just kept plumbing them that way anyhow.

The only reason this guess would be wrong would be if there is actually a difference in the return plumbing between the filter housing and the power beyond block on post '69 New Gen tractors.

If I am correct, you could pull your supply from the top, run your return into one of the side ports, and plug the other one without any problems at all.

-Mike
ccjersey
Posted 12/12/2016 16:14 (#5693269 - in reply to #5693057)

Faunsdale, AL
The ported filter cover was introduced for the 2440, 2640 etc utility tractors. We had one on a 2440 as a field install for a hydraulic reverser equipped "loader special" model with a full sized front pump.

Even though they had a live charge pump drive, these tractors suffered from the disparity between transmission/charge pump displacement and the optional 15-16 gpm high pressure pump. They were also commonly afflicted by internal hydraulic leaks in the transmission circuit which cut charge pump flow even more. End result was a lot of chattering hydraulics.
mschultz
Posted 12/12/2016 17:45 (#5693443 - in reply to #5693269)

Oregon
Thanks for the explanation. I've always wondered about that return system.

-Mike
KTA
Posted 12/12/2016 18:34 (#5693587 - in reply to #5692776)

The T31170 Ported Filter Cover was first used way back in 1968. Was a part of the 48 loader independent valve hook-up for 10, 15 and 2020 utility  tractors. For the same tractors, plus 2510, 3020 and 4020 tractors at that time, it was part of the hydraulic hook-up to use a model 100 crop thinner. The thinner was used on direct seeded vegetable crops and had a high flow hydraulic demand. None of the tractor models at this time period had a place to return high flow oil back in to the charge side of the hydraulic systems. In 1969, the power beyond block behind the new style SCVs on Waterloo tractors was used for that purpose and also then provided a direct high pressure source as well. The utility tractors continued to use the ported filter cup till the end of the 55 series. High pressure oil on utility tractor was always easy to source from an external line under the rear of right hand foot rest.The ported filter was standard equipment on many later utility tractors. Some of you will remember the original transmission filter being wrapped with a yellow perforated paper. The oil flow in the ported cup would sometimes tear the wrapper apart, so that is when the metal wrapper was put around the filter.

dvdwtrmn
Posted 12/12/2016 18:47 (#5693629 - in reply to #5692776)

Northeast Missouri
I always thought the oil returned to the ported filter charged the main hydraulic pump and also went through the hydraulic oil cooler. I was always told to return oil from hydraulic motors to the ported filter so the hydraulic system would run cooler.
KTA
Posted 12/12/2016 19:05 (#5693689 - in reply to #5693629)

All of the high pressure oil being used for any purpose, beyond the pressure control valve, is returned into charge side of the system. SCV, power beyond block, return fitting on side of SCV, rockshaft cylinder and ported filter cup and is routed through the cooler depending on front pump demand. ALL oil directed to the front pump flows through the pump and out the top fitting to the cooler. The advantage of using the ported filter cup is the large fitting diameter than can be used for up at least a 1 inch hose if needed. Also it is in the open and easy to get to.

Edited by KTA 12/12/2016 19:14
mschultz
Posted 12/12/2016 20:09 (#5693864 - in reply to #5693689)

Oregon
Thanks.

-Mike
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)