AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Truck won't take gas after installing flatbed.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GuernseyGuy
Posted 9/14/2012 15:06 (#2591149)
Subject: Truck won't take gas after installing flatbed.

WCOH
Had a steel flatbed installed on my 96 F250, now we can't get the fuel fillers to work right. Gas pump shuts off almost instantly and takes forever to fill. They are mounted in the side rail of the bed and have a good amount of fall, so I am not sure what the problem would be. Do the small lines(ones the gas actually flows through) on the inside of the big lines need cut off all the way back? Any help would be great.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Doug W
Posted 9/14/2012 15:16 (#2591157 - in reply to #2591149)
Subject: RE: Truck won't take gas after installing flatbed.

Regina/ 14 miles South of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan
Don't have any first hand experience, but I believe the small lines off the tank go to a canister that provides tank venting, and also minimizes evaporation from the tank - sounds like one of those lines has been crimped or blocked, or the canister itself is blocked & that's blocking your tank vent...

Hope this helps..

Doug W.
JWM_Farms
Posted 9/14/2012 15:30 (#2591171 - in reply to #2591149)

Grinnell, Iowa
We've had that happen a couple times with flatbeds on pickups, the filler neck runs too flat so the fuel dosn't run away from the nozzle fast enough and it kicks off. Our solution albeit somewhat incovenient has been to carry a block in the pickup to pull up on to make it lean over enough that the the fuel will run down the filler neck.
Alberta Pioneer
Posted 9/14/2012 15:35 (#2591175 - in reply to #2591149)
Subject: Re: Truck won't take gas after installing flatbed.

Warburg, AB
Seen this tons of times on Fords, but no idea why. Would like to know as well, just in case I ever run into it again.

Bruce
championized
Posted 9/14/2012 15:43 (#2591183 - in reply to #2591149)

Edson, Alberta / Ormstown, Quebec
Same thing happens on Chev too. I think it's a "flatbed thing". Anyway, whether Ford or Chev, when filling with gas, simply turn the nozzle 180 degrees so that the handle is on top. This puts the nozzle into a more vertical position.
srsu99
Posted 9/14/2012 15:59 (#2591196 - in reply to #2591149)

Central / West Texas
Most likey your fill location is lower than the tank inlet. I have seen this a problem on service beds. In fact we had a 95 f250 with a Stahl bed and it was a real pain to fill with an auto shutoff nozzle, which was real handy with as much fuel as that thing used. Finally moved the fill to inside one of the cabinets, which worked but was not as handy.
earp
Posted 9/14/2012 16:08 (#2591206 - in reply to #2591196)

Manila, Ar
i've had 3 .........all of them was hard to fill......:(
Joel Harman
Posted 9/14/2012 16:21 (#2591220 - in reply to #2591149)

N.C. Oregon
Some carry a block to put under the rear wheel when fueling.

Some cut a hole in the bed so the filler neck is more upright. This option goes south when one has a load & covers the access door.
G. DAY
Posted 9/14/2012 16:31 (#2591233 - in reply to #2591149)

Fresno, California
There should be a 1 inch tube in the fuel hose to vent the tank to the filler neck. Seems every nozzle is different, some have to be held upside down and some work normally. Some Contractors around here have a ramp to lift the left side.

George
mmaddox
Posted 9/14/2012 16:44 (#2591247 - in reply to #2591220)

Very common problem. The factory fill sits at an angle to give the fuel a running start, and provide enough fall. The vent line is not the issue. No real fix except moving it to the bed, and that causes problem when covered. Most end up living with it. Filling as slow as possible becomes the norm.
Prohay
Posted 9/14/2012 16:53 (#2591264 - in reply to #2591233)

No Mans Land , Cimarron co. OK.
I have 4 flatbed fords and 2 will work normal and the other 2 you have to turn nozzel upside down to get it to fill proper. something to do with the angle and height of filler neck. Just put a PJ bed on my lastest f-250 and it works fine . I would bet it is most a venting problem than anything, auto-shutoff nozzels have to be turned upside down and gravity flow nozzels work ok. Been dealing with this issue for 35 years, I dont like to work out of a regular bed, prefer flatbeds.
DIESELDAN74
Posted 9/14/2012 17:18 (#2591293 - in reply to #2591264)

Thats what I do on my Dodge diesel flatbed. Turn the nozzle upside down works everytime.
shopmanbob
Posted 9/14/2012 17:37 (#2591314 - in reply to #2591157)

I am not sure there is enough room on a gas nozzle but on my f350 d. with a flatbed I use a piece of black 3/4 inch flexable water line, approx 24 inches long. I slide it in the tank fill hose about 16 inches and put the nozzle inside of the water hose . Works great. The nozzle is on our fuel tank at the farm I am not sure if a station nozzle will fit. Turning it upside- down will work in a pinch.

Edited by shopmanbob 9/14/2012 19:01
Galaxie64
Posted 9/14/2012 18:51 (#2591389 - in reply to #2591149)

WY, OK
Had this happen on our '92. Finally took the filler neck off and replumbed it right, as said there isn't enough drop at the beginning. It has been several years but IIRC the filler was made out of exhaust tube and had some rubber joints, all we had to do was take the pieces and twist them to make the fall correct.
Ernie
Posted 9/14/2012 20:17 (#2591470 - in reply to #2591149)

North End I-15
Had to raise the bed on one 1 ton to get the fall. The other one ton I have gas filler under the deck and on top of the rail . Have to sit on the ground to fill tank. At my age and weight it's a chore to get off the ground ! :>)
Trent2520
Posted 9/14/2012 20:31 (#2591487 - in reply to #2591149)

Statesville, NC
I have built a couple flatbeds and never had a problem with the fuel flow to the tank. It really doesn't take much slope if it's vented properly. I'm not sure what you are asking about the small line needing to be cut off, but I think it needs to be as long as possible and go all the way into the tank. Some have a vent tube going beside the fuel tube, and some have the type with a hose inside a hose, and the inside smaller hose where the fuel flows and the outside is the vent. In that case if the inside hose is too short the fuel will get blown back out the outer (vent) hose. The fuel coming out of the small hose needs to go past where the large vent hose attaches to the tank, because there is a rush of air trying to go out the big hose.
beenthere
Posted 9/14/2012 20:40 (#2591499 - in reply to #2591149)

put a bradford bed on a 1999 ford f350, had problems also, it turned out to be a venting problem for us. with that being said the fill hose is pretty damn flat on those beds so i could see where that would be a problem also.
8320farmer
Posted 9/14/2012 21:07 (#2591556 - in reply to #2591149)

East central Indiana
Don't know what they did but my 96 and 97 fords we had for tiling were the same after installing new beds. Took them to Davis towing in rushville Indiana An they fixed them. Worked just fine. Just stuck the nozzle in and start pump in. Lie ask max next time I'm in there.
ccjersey
Posted 9/14/2012 21:18 (#2591580 - in reply to #2591149)

Faunsdale, AL
I have had to extend the filler hose to match up with the new location of the cap assembly in the bed rail. Then I had to extend the inner tube that keeps the diesel from foaming back. Gasoline wouldn't be that bad. Still carried a block when we were away from home where the truck sits on a slope when filling the tank.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)