AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sunco or groff row cleaners
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

wlm
Posted 10/8/2009 16:04 (#876293)
Subject: sunco or groff row cleaners

I need to replace row cleaners on my John Deere planter. I would like to get the kind that have the whippers in front and the fertilizer disk behind the whippers. There is 2 dealers in town one sells Sunco and the other sells Groff. Both are priced about the same. I plant irrigated corn in strip-tilled ground. Dryland is sandy no-till into cornstalks. Any advice would be appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TxFarmer
Posted 10/8/2009 18:28 (#876459 - in reply to #876293)
Subject: Re: sunco or groff row cleaners

Panhandle of Texas
I can not advise for or against the Groff's, but I can tell you that I have had great success with my SunCo's. I had them on my JD MaxEmerge, and when I traded up to a CIH 1200, I took them with me. Even with all the use and abuse I have put them through, I have never changed a bearing. Changing a bearing will be easy, though, because SunCo took the time (and spent a little extra money) to bolt the assembly together rather than use rivvets. The Groff's might be bolted the same way--I don't know..
silver
Posted 10/9/2009 07:38 (#877200 - in reply to #876459)

n.w. iowa
Agree with TxFarmer, I have sunco's also, way better than the j.d.'s that came with the planter, just doesn't plug.
mhagny
Posted 10/9/2009 16:40 (#877881 - in reply to #877200)

But the Sunco Sabre-Tooth scoops a lot of soil out of the row -- not good for no-till.
TxFarmer
Posted 10/9/2009 16:49 (#877888 - in reply to #877881)

Panhandle of Texas

But the Sunco Sabre-Tooth scoops a lot of soil out of the row -- not good for no-till.
-----

-- Matt Hagny,

They have the ability to take soil, along with straw, but I can adjust them where they don't move much of anything but residue (I mean sure, a very minute amount of dirt is always going to be moved).  I have done a lot of experimenting with mine (finding the correct hole to pin them) and then I have also fine tuned the trash wheels with the 3rd link (Johnson bar) on the 3 point.

Like I implied in my previous post, I am not making a dig towards the Groff's because I've never been around 'em.  Something else I know little about are the "floating row cleaners".  Maybe these are what the original poster needs to be lookng into..(??)

mhagny
Posted 10/9/2009 17:04 (#877905 - in reply to #877200)
Subject: Re: sunco or groff row cleaners (double post deleted -- n/t)

n/t

Edited by mhagny 10/9/2009 17:23
mhagny
Posted 10/9/2009 17:20 (#877922 - in reply to #877888)

If you are meticulous about adjustment, and are okay with the concept of leaving some residue in the row (very desirable), then the Sabre-Tooth would be okay.  Also, if you have level fields without much undulation (old disc ridges, etc.) or terraces.  But for many people, they simply dig too much soil out of the row.

The Groff row cleaners are very well built and function nicely in a variety of conditions.  Yetter Shark Tooth also functions well.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)