AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anyone regretted being proactive?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Alberta Cowman
Posted 5/1/2021 14:15 (#8981917)
Subject: Has anyone regretted being proactive?

Well it’s May and this is one of my most productive alfalfa pastures.

We’re fairly dry and the forecast has been calling for moisture but has been wrong 90% of the time. Right now I’m set for pasture on a relatively normal year. I ran the numbers on drylotting my 700# steers and due to the cost of barley I can’t make it pencil out as I have a lot of coarse lower quality feed. I’m also not setup for feeding silage to smaller groups due to my silage pits having too much face area and I wouldn’t have a fast enough removal rate.

Maybe I’m being pessimistic but if it doesn’t rain here in two weeks there’s going to be a lot of grassers being sold. Right now mine are worth a decent $ but if everyone else is unloading I can’t see that lasting. On the flip side if it does turn out being a good year I’ll possibly be leaving $ on the table.

I went through this previously and supplemented on pasture but feed grain was about 60% of the price it currently is. It stretched the grass but felt like a full time job out feeding them all summer.

Has anyone regretted getting ahead of the curve?

Sorry if this comes across as a pity party or rant. Maybe I’m just tired from calving and field work and over thinking this.

(47D53EF3-2239-41CD-849D-DEA699E31C18 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 47D53EF3-2239-41CD-849D-DEA699E31C18 (full).jpeg (287KB - 150 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)