AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mac problems long post
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 3/26/2021 19:55 (#8917827)
Subject: Mac problems long post

North of London
Not sure i can keep this short and get all my questions answered so.....
Yes i know the backup was my responsibility.

IMAC started going to sleep a couple weeks ago and could not 'wake' it so had to reboot with a 'hard' shutdown (hope my descriptions are correct out understandable )

Had at least 2 updates while I was having the 'sleep' problem so was not sure if that was the problem .
After about 10-14 days of this problem there was a very loud CRACK while i was on the internet and computer hung up.
Hard reboot got it going again and seemed to work Ok.
This happened on the weekend so I used it some more and had 1 more instance of hanging up.

Took to computer shop.

Got a call in a day that it was the hard drive heating up and fix was best, cheapest option.
OK

A day later I got a call that the logic board was faulty and new computer was best solution and cheapest
Checked the options they had with son and agreed that what they proposed would be best.

So then they could not transfer data because ports were dead so backup disk was needed.
Well when I unplugged everything to take it in i realized the backup had not been plugged in since a problem with Ram in October.

They claim that the drive in the old computer was a 'fusion' drive Spelling??
It could not be removed to transfer like other drives.
Claim they tried many ways to transfer data but could not do it so setup with info to October and after several calls they finally got it ready for pickup late this aft.
So my thought was to use old computer to Air Drop a few files over that I had worked on this past winter so I do not have to dig out info and redo them but they claimed old computer was still in pieces and they had taken the 'fusion' drive out but it was not intended to be removed ALTHOUGH the original plan had been to replace it.
Person I was talking to, not the technician he claimed, said if computer was live they would have air dropped data too.

I seem to be getting different answers with drives that are not meant to be changed but they were going to do it originally.

Computer was still working with problems when it went in.

Losing faith in this organization and what they are telling me.

Anyone know anything about this 'fusion' drive ?
Hard drives I am familiar with can be read and written too with an attachment.

Is there any feasible way to get data from the old drive or if my old computer is not too badly dismantled that it would still work could I air drop some missing files?

Good thing is I am back on a computer and not the old iPad.
Signed back in to most if not all the sites including my bank which had some catching up to do before this weekend.

May leave Quicken until tomorrow to see how that goes.
Hopefully it will be up to date to October and I can re enter info from there which is not a real big job as my entries per month are not nearly as great as they used to be and I have a piece of paper to back up every entry.

Thanks for any advice and yes i will double check backup from now on.
used to have 2 backups and slipped back to one since I have never needed one before however I have learned my lesson.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)