AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mind your plastic and anything else....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Doug61
Posted 11/22/2020 12:50 (#8616170)
Subject: Mind your plastic and anything else....

Eastern NE KS
Bit of a downer story from fall of '18.

Nice potential replacement heifer died. Upon posting, we found a Walmart plastic bag in her gut.

Prior to her weaning and death she lost her appetite and had very watery bowel. I can't say I gave her all-out medical attention but I did offer fancy feed and treated w/ mineral oil drench and Sustain III blouses. This was a little silly because anything I offered was a new diet. I should have retrieved her mother to nurse (if she would). She became very depressed and died within a couple of days.

Here's the deal: A good heifer was lost to a circumstances beyond my complete control. The bag probably tumbled, wind blown into the pasture and a curious heifer went after it.

I have no idea how I can prevent this from reoccurring except:

All foreign materials are picked up when seen. I don't care if I'm late for church, I stop and get it. I have found mylar balloons, latex balloons, July 4th lanterns, water bottles and silage bag remnants. We use netwrap and have always worked hard at not creating a problem. After this heifer, I doubled down to pickup 'threads' around bale rings.

This seems like a lot of stuff and the place is a trash heap. Not at all. Stuff in the wind gets my attention when seen, not when convenient.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)