AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Massey VT transmission... teach me!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rancherman
Posted 10/18/2020 10:59 (#8551577)
Subject: Massey VT transmission... teach me!

wrapping my head around  the  VT transmission  in my rented  6616  MF..

Basically,  it's  a  ring gear,   with 3 planetary.      The input  is  engine driven,  which  also  drives an adjustable (via 'gear shifter') volume  hydraulic pump..  This oil then   is  used to run a motor that regulates how fast or slow this  ring  gear   turns.   

Looking at both extremes,   a 'locked'  ring gear  would be  one end of  the   gear reduction spectrum,  where this  gear  that is  turning  as  fast as the input  shaft  would be the other.   Every point  in between  would  be our  available  'gear changes'.
   How  fast or  slow this  gear is  allowed to  turn  is  adjusted  by the  'gear shift' lever,  which  changes  how much  oil  is  pumped to the motor.    A  swash plate  type  adjuster is  what  changes  the volume.
Still a  gear drive,  but  'regulated'  via  hydraulics..     Not sure,  but i think  reverse is   entirely  hydraulic..  I may have to  watch the youtube tutorial  a  couple more times

The  transmission is simple as  a  post,  but  what concerns me is  the complexity of the  system  that  'runs it'.   a  LOT of  wires,  sensors,  switches  to  go haywire  in the future...  But  what new   tractor  isn't? 
Dealer  called me  the other day,  wanting to sell me the  tractor..  'just use the rental money as your downpayment'..
  So i'm   crash coursing myself on  all the  in's  and  out's.   
I've got about 60 hours on it,  using it in my  worst  case scenarios of   haying in the  steepest hills,  and  some of the  heaviest  crops of the year.   8 foot tall  forage sorghum  @  5.5 mph  through the  mower  is  awesome to watch from the seat.
It runs  the  16 foot  disc conditioner  a lot easier than my  3545 ever did,  at speeds I never imagined.    
I accused him of using  drug dealer  tactics.. LOL,    putting that  'candy'  in my hand,  and   knowing I'd be 'hooked'..       
Tractor  would be  a  haying,  and planter  *8 row, or  20 foot drill  stuff.   So  150 hp  is  plenty..   it  sure uses less fuel than  the  3545..    But,   that  'saving'  is  burned up with  the  DEF.   No more  clouds of  black smoke  is  nice.

Edited by rancherman 10/18/2020 11:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)