AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So, If you have a Red Flag Fire Warning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

DC swIL
Posted 10/17/2020 20:58 (#8550803)
Subject: So, If you have a Red Flag Fire Warning

take the time to hook up a disc.

We had a pretty big field fire today. Some jackwagon must have thrown out a cigarette, wind was 30 mph and the humidity was 23%. We were coming home from another farm and saw the smoke, flames were already a quarter mile into the bean stubble. I ran in the shed, the sunflower soil finisher is hooked up and the disc is in the back behind the sprayer and another tractor. Sprayer has a dead battery so the best tool for the job is unavailable. I head out with the finisher. By now the flames are out of the bean stubble and into the corn stalks. The finisher does a good job in the bean stubble but is about useless in the corn stalks. It just stirs things up and leaves all the fire fuel on top. Some time later a guy shows up with a disc. Turns out he had been at another field fire about 10 miles away and heard about ours on the scanner. By now the flames are 3/4 mile into bean stubble and corn stalks. He does great of creating a fire break. 2 more guys show up with vertical tillage tools, the fire department does good work and we get it under control.

In the end no buildings, equipment or standing crops were burnt. The flames burnt an area about 1/8 mile wide and 1 mile long. It stopped at a rock road with growing wheat on the north side of the road. If that field had been corn stalks or bean stubble it would have kept on going. Not a fun day but thankful for people I didn't even know to come and help out.

Sorry, I no pics. I was pretty busy
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)