AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some times I wonder if it's me?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Andover
Posted 10/16/2020 23:11 (#8549648)
Subject: Some times I wonder if it's me?

Guelph, Ontario

I will apologize in advance for the long post....

Early this spring a neighbour calls me to ask if they can pile snow in our field so they can strip and dig a foundation for a new storage building they are building on their property..  I wasn't overjoyed about it but if it is only snow I don't want to be a pain... He assures me only snow.

I drive by our property a week later and there is a large spoil pile, (in the neighbourhood of 50 to 100 yards) of dirt piled in our field. I contact the neighbour and he blames the contractor but then says they had no were else to put the spoil. I ask how close are they building to the property line and do they know exactly were it is? Of course we do was the answer. I did take the opportunity to walk him over to were the line was and he agreed. Also said the dirt would be gone next week. A month later the dirt is still there and the frost is out of the ground. Now I was pissed and very directly said the dirt goes now!!!!  I get a call from the contractor kind of confused that I was complaining.. he didn't know his customer didn't own my field. Dirt was removed.   So last month when we harvested our beans we get a good look at his `finished` grading.  His wall towers about ten feet out of the ground and six feet away from the property line so the grade is basically straight up and out into our worked field. As you can imagine there was a fair collection of large stones rolled into our beans.

A few days after harvest we went to the property and spent about four hours finding the survey pins and making a line of flags on the property line. I then contacted him and asked if he had time to look at what we had done. He came out immediately and went completely berserk that we were suggesting that his backfill was on our property. Stormed off saying that we were just dump farmers, he would get a surveyor to mark the line.

Fast forward to today... I was inspecting my emerging wheat and the offending neighbour asks me to come and look.. I agreed, with the provision everyone would be calm and polite. We walked over and started to calmly discuss the situation.. He had called a surveyor.. that would cost $2000. He agreed that he is over the line... Now enter his father calls me and my family every name in the book, threatens to beat me up, tells me he has served time and wasn`t worried about doing it again. Just plain nuts.

Son gets father to leave.. Apparently the father has money in the farm.  Son and I calmly resume conversation which ends with me agreeing to allow them to do some filling on our property with pure topsoil to hold the bank on his new building.

All I wanted from the beginning!!!!

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

I have to admit that beating on a neighbour to solve a problem is kind of a foreign concept to me.   

Thanks for letting me rant and try to digest the events.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)