AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bought my bulls today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Big Swede
Posted 10/16/2020 22:32 (#8549611)
Subject: Bought my bulls today

SW So Dakota
Today was bull day, the main event. My cousins have been a cooperator producer for Jorgensen Angus for about 25 years. For the last 23 years straight I have been going to the ranch to pick my bulls. They were weighed this week and pulled off the cows this morning. These are purebred Angus but not registered. There were probably at least 20 operations there today to buy bulls with more every year. I have been the longest running customer so I get first choice. They sold 130 head right off the ranch today, 300 head went to Jorgensen's and they will band 70 culls and take them to a feedlot.

I usually buy between 6-10 bulls a year. This year I got 7 head. All their dams were 3 year olds that originated off the Jim Sitz ranch in Montana. The Risse's bought them as bred 2 year olds in the spring of 2019. The bulls average birth date was March 15th and their average weaning weight was 718 with no creep. The price is based on steer calf price this week at barns like Rushville, Valentine and Bassett Nebraska plus $150 premium for the privilege to pick right off the cow. I always buy half brothers and turn them after three seasons. I stick with a sire group for three or four years and then switch to another sire group. There are some years that my entire bull battery on the cow herd is a half brother. My 4 year old culls almost always bring more than what I paid for them. Using conservative numbers I figure I have saved $500,000 over 23 years if I would have had to buy top end bulls at local registered sales.

I guess the main reason I shared this is to let you know that I am spoiled at how well this relationship has worked for our operation. I don't miss going to bull sales. The consistency and quality we have gotten over the years is second to none. There are a lot of ways to do the same thing.

Edited by Big Swede 10/16/2020 22:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)