AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Maintaining muscle mass over the age of 50
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 8/30/2020 06:49 (#8465599)
Subject: Maintaining muscle mass over the age of 50

Pittsburg, Kansas

One very important thing as we age is maintaining lean muscle mass. I'm 66 and have really been feeling the loss of strength over the last 10 years. My dad as he approached 80 could no longer start his chain saw because he did not have enough muscles to do so. Many older people fall and break bones because their muscles become weak and no longer function to catch missteps.

So keeping muscle as we get older is a big deal.

I post this video not because I agree with all of it. Far from it, I especially don't agree with some of the foods he recommends at the end because they may have their own problems. He also makes a living as a trainer and youtube video producer and one way of making that living is by having sponsors for his show. So I mostly ignore whatever he is pushing for product. Everyone has to make a living and have income from some source (unless they are just independently wealthy and are working because they enjoy it) and that source can be also a source of bias for that person. Being a trainer he also targets his talks more towards people that have the time to go to a gym and do a bunch of this stuff whereas those of us who live on farms might look at a weed eater more than a set of dumbbells and think of exercise. So with all those caveats I will also say that DeLauer does a good job of reading the research and bringing it down to a level most of us can absorb. So I usually like his explanations of the science.

I post this not as a plan to follow or an end all be all of maintaining lean muscle as we age and more of just of a thought provoking video to help us start thinking of how important the subject is to us "experienced" adults and also start thinking about doing something about it. I think many of the ideas he proposes are worthy of consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4YvLkNX-No

John

Edited by John Burns 8/30/2020 06:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)