AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steer weights
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

chickenqueen
Posted 7/30/2020 15:18 (#8405258)
Subject: Steer weights

Mid MO
Sold 2 grass fed steers to a guy the other day. Met him at the coop. He weighed (he had some of his own stock in the front compartment.) Backed our trailers together and ran one on his. He weighed, came back, and ran the second steer on and he weighed again. (3 weights)

His figures at the time show that steer #91 weighed 1100#.
Steer #45 weighed 1380#. At the time, I thought, durn he weighed a lot more than I expected and steer #91 a little less.) Both smooth and fat, but #45 was short and stout, while #91 had more leg.

Now he emails me and says we have a problem. Wants my opinion on what happened. Hanging weight on #91 was 589. #45 was 605.
He feels the 1100 pound weight was correct.

I want to be fair and give him a good answer. However, this guy has backed me down twice from the price we agreed upon at my farm. The first time (.05) , I was ok because the price I shot him included hauling to his butcher, which is quite a distance. This last meeting he worked me down another nickel because he says he isn't paying his other guys as much as he's paying me. (Not my problem!)

My opinion on what happened is that he didn't get all the tires on the scale. I'm not sure if it was the first or second weight but the last number would have to be accurate because you can't really screw up and add weight.

Any insight you all have would be great. These were both home raised. Smooth over the top and fat on the tail head.

I would like to be diplomatic. I don't know how long they hung before weighed.

This is the weigh ticket for calf #45. He has the other tickets.

Thanks

(20200730_144026 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20200730_144026 (full).jpg (113KB - 539 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)