AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Difference in doctors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 7/21/2020 10:50 (#8386875)
Subject: Difference in doctors

Pittsburg, Kansas

I have observed some significant differences in the two doctors I am most familiar with, my current family doctor and my previous one. The previous one wife and I had been going to for many years and we both really liked him. Down to earth and very conscientious about his patients, at least with us. He retired, forcing us to seek out a new family physician.

The old doctor when we went in for our annual checkup about a year ago did the standard stuff. Digital exam, PSA blood test among other standard stuff. I had lost about 100 pounds since the last time I had seen him. Got off 100 units of insulin a day and about a half dozen medications that he had been prescribing to me for years. All I can say about the meeting is the absence of anything he said was as much revealing as anything he actually said. He did not discourage us being on a ketogenic diet (I would think it would have been hard for him to do with the across the board improvements we had seen). But he definitely did not say to continue it or give encouragement. He was rather silent other than telling us that we looked good (he was probably close to as much over weight as I had been)..

Contrast that to the new doctor who is a very young guy. I would guess between 30 and 40. He was more intent in learning what we had done than giving us advice on making changes, but he did not seem opposed to a ketogenic diet in any way. He also thought we looked good and continue what we were doing. I requested some unusual blood tests like an insulin assay and C-peptide which he commented most people would not even know what those tests were (and I saw they came from a remote rather than the local lab). But what prompted this thread is the absence of blood tests and exams my former doctor always did as standard.

I looked and looked for the PSA test and he did not order it. Nor did he give me a digital exam. That got me curious so I started looking some of this stuff up and ran into this.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNgFf1YcZbY  This Mayo Clinic video is 8 years old so this is not new information. Yet I wonder if my new doctor does not take later research information into consideration where my old doctor may have been running on his years of common practice and "standard of care". A couple of other things we talked about was the new doctors aversion to using statins. He also thought the current covid 19 should have been left to run its course (when we entered the office we ask if we should wear masks and the receptionist said it was up to us so we did not).

Another difference between the doctors is my wife has been wanting to try natural Armour thyroid hormone (she has had her thyroid removed) and our old doctor talked her out of it last year. The new doctor did not have a problem at all and went over with her the difference in dosing.

I post this just to point out the diversity of what different advice and what directions a person might get from different doctors. I suppose this is why larger organizations like hospitals have "standards of care". Probably confusing to the patient when one doctor says one thing and another says something different. But that standard of care could also prevent doctors from implementing newer information.

I just found it kind of interesting and also refreshing that maybe our new doc is a little more progressive in his thinking of looking at current science. I suggested he look up Ivor Cummins on Youtube (when we were discussing statins) and he said he definitely would.

Just some medical musings on my part.

Edit: another one  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u-fzwOd4Gk

John

Edited by John Burns 7/21/2020 11:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)