AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GP 3s-3000 drill closing wheel problems.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Aggie Farmer
Posted 6/30/2020 16:30 (#8345759)
Subject: GP 3s-3000 drill closing wheel problems.

Grandview, TX
I’ve got a regular 3s-3000 drill I’m trying to plant some sudan with to get a little grazing. I’m planting into heavy clay with a little over an inch of powder on top and then it’s good moisture after. I’m planting about 1.5” deep. The problem I’m having is the Single packing wheel builds up every 10 acres or so. Also, I can’t find that spot where I need on the down pressure. I’ll either blow out the seed trench from to much down pressure, making the closing wheels build up quicker or not enough down pressure and the seed is laying on dry dirt a 1/4” from the top. Ive tried pressure from 800 psi down to 200psi on the closing wheels. It’s not to wet, my row planter would plant like a dream in these conditions.

I’ve never liked this drill that much and just always planted a tad on the drier side getting around half up and waiting on a rain to get the rest up. If I give it a few more days, my moisture will be gone with these 95 degree and 30mph winds. I’ve checked into putting v closing wheels on it before, but that would cost nearly what the drill is worth. Anyone else had this problem ? Anyone tried the chicken foot closing wheels from Schaffert ?

Edited by Aggie Farmer 6/30/2020 16:32

(F9EFA628-4C65-4887-A896-F1C98405DBB8 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments F9EFA628-4C65-4887-A896-F1C98405DBB8 (full).jpeg (226KB - 39 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)