AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Irrigation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LLFarms
Posted 6/30/2020 14:04 (#8345544)
Subject: Irrigation

NC Indiana, 185-200 bu corn, 55-65 beans, 40” rainfall, 43” snowfall...all averages for our area. For the most part fields retain moisture well and so it goes that most guys don’t irrigates. I understand ROI will (historically) take much longer in my scenario.

The last 3-4 years we have been hit w spells of high temps and little to rain. I sure like being able to turn the water on my sweet corn when I know it’s going to get stressed. If we lose 15-20 bu from stress or from lack of water come grain fill...is this starting to look like a more realistic alternative for us in traditionally NI areas? Where is the break even point? I haven’t sharpened the pencil by any means but weather patterns change and I’ve noticed (and have been told numerous times by my 93 yo Gpa) that the weather is different. I recently heard from a man smarter than me that our area (in 20-30 yrs) could have a growing environment similar to Oklahoma. If that’s the case irrigation would be a must. What do you all think?

Edited by LLFarms 6/30/2020 14:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)