AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cold fish
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/10/2020 07:56 (#8307060)
Subject: Cold fish

Pittsburg, Kansas

One thing about going to a ketogenic diet, that I have mentioned in the past, is that my taste buds have changed since cutting out the sugar and most starchy carbs. I'm eating things now that I would not have cared for in the past and enjoying them.

One thing I had packed in my lunch was cold fish fillets. I was not too sure about that but decided to give it a try and I actually liked it. The wife had grilled a bunch of bluegill fillets the night before and we had several left over so in the lunch they went. No breading or anything on them, just grilled fish. I really liked it.

For those asking about what to pack for a keto lunch here is what I had. Fish fillets, boneless chicken breast (also grilled), bacon strips, radishes, meat sticks, some small salami slices, cheese chunks, a boiled egg and a tin of sardines. I ate everything except the sardines because I got full. I am surprised that I actually like the fish, chicken and bacon cold. Not sure that would have passed muster a couple years ago but I enjoyed it all.

On another note we had a bunch of people over for a fish fry and smoked ribs Sunday. Since most of the people are not keto wife made traditional stuff like baked beans and potato salad (which we did not eat). The bluegill and channel catfish was dipped in a Long John Silvers batter knock off. That was not keto as it has flour and I ate so much of it I could have foundered. Almost every batch that came out of the deep fat fryer (used lard) I had the job of transferring to the storage bowl where we were serving the fish as an appetizer before the main dish of ribs, I ate a piece. So I went off the reservation on the coated fish and man was it good. Hot and fresh out of the fryer. I estimate I had the equivalent of a couple slices of bread from the flour in the coating. The good news, checked my sugar level a couple hours later after the big meal and it was 120. So I think my pancreas and insulin resistance has improved significantly. No other distress or problems at all from the flour. I really felt good about that, knowing that in a situation where I might not be able to eat exactly like I want, I will be ok without extra insulin or diabetic medicine.

One other thing I had her try was to just throw a piece of fish in the fryer without any coating. It tasted fine. Deep fried fish with no coating at all. So when we do it just for ourselves that is the way we will deep fry fish and still be low carb that way. Grilling is pretty tasty too though.

John

Edited by John Burns 6/10/2020 07:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)