AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to autosteer. More info, more confusion.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Larry_minn
Posted 5/31/2020 15:55 (#8291294)
Subject: New to autosteer. More info, more confusion.

Under 500 acre farmer. Older paid for equipment. I am wanting to buy a tractor with autosteer, I found a MF 7622 1300 hrs Outback unit $85000 +200 hp. Then I’m told outback stinks on customer service even on new units, from 3 dealers...
I look at others. Seems the GPS system is changing, older units will be unable to receive signal, or upgradable in 2021? But some might?
That you really need to buy latest $$$ and buy RTK or their version of it every season. Otherwise 1 meter accuracy is what I should expect after 21?
That kills any cost savings I might hope to get. I understood 8” accuracy was the worst I should get with free signal. 4” either side of the line. Being honest thats more accurate then I am doing corn some days.

So what’s true? I have a couple MF tractors 180 hp, low hours... located in 300 miles for sale. All without autosteer in Sub $80k range. I can handle putting a $14k autosteer system with 8” accuracy. Barely.
But if I need to pay over a grand every season for signal. No thanks. Spray isn’t cheap, nor is seed. But on less then 500 cropped I can’t see saving a grand a yr, plus $94k upfront.....

Thing is I liked the older outback. Seemed simple to set up back forth next to worked area. But was told unless I am back in 15 minutes max I can’t make gentle end turns and “skip” a area, work half the field, work between the worked areas on return. FWA tractors don’t turn as quick as older RWD only. Guess I might keep older stuff.

Edited by Larry_minn 5/31/2020 16:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)