AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pick long-term internet service speed/plan
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

sand85
Posted 5/5/2020 16:55 (#8237264)
Subject: Pick long-term internet service speed/plan

C IL
Fiber coop is expected to show up at my house in the 12-18 months. Part of the planning is to sign an up-front service agreement.

250Mbps download $61
500Mbps $81
1Gbps $70 (this one is locked in for lifetime)

Additional $5/month equipment fee. Modem/wifi router I guess. I suppose subject to increasing over time.

Upload speeds are 10% of download.

Alternatives are poor dial-up or Mediacom cable at roughly $90/month now, been going up $10 every two years and service speed is advertised to improve yearly (currently throttled to 10 Mbps) but can’t get more than 6Mbps on a good day and can’t even stream on a 42” TV during the evenings.

So ... I remember how awesome a 56K modem was in the late 90’s, went off to college and had blazing internet at U of Illinois, enjoyed cable internet in the 10Mbps range until moving back home-ish.

56K to the farm’s twin DSL lines around 6Mbps combined is a 100x increase, and we max that bandwidth all the time. Took 20 years to see that increase.

6Mbps to 1Gig is on the order of a 200x increase. 250Mbps is on the order of a 50x increase.

Trying to figure out where to be. Do you get rated speeds on fiber or do you get throttled by congestion? Is anyone currently running anything other than 802.11n at 600Mbps theoretical and maybe 100Mbps actual (per the article I read online). Is anyone running a smart TV with a gigabit network port?

Clearly the price point push is 1Gig at $70, but will I see a realistic difference between 250Mbps and 1Gbps? Is the rate of bandwidth utilization increasing or decreasing relative to the 1995-2020 baseline in my example?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)