AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Home cured ham
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/7/2020 19:46 (#8241908)
Subject: Home cured ham

Pittsburg, Kansas

Wife finished up the home curing of a picnic pork roast. Turned out really good.

It has been a coons age since we have had ham in the house. She is not a terribly big fan of ham (though she will eat it and like it ok) while I like it pretty good. She will snarf up roast pork but just was never that interested in ham.

She was feeling bad, while we were at the grocery store a few weeks back, that I had not had any ham. So we started looking at hams. Could not find ANY that did not have either sugar or some other sweetener as an ingredient. So we passed on the ham.

In the mean time we have been taking advantage of some of the cheaper cuts of pork ($1.69 a pound) and while watching some homesteading type programs on youtube got interested in curing our own ham. That and the recent talk on AgTalk about curing meat. So last week she gave it a try. I think she cured this picnic roast in the fridge in a bag for about a week. No sugar. Just salt and curing nitrates. Pulled it out today and sliced off a small slice to fry to make sure the taste was where we wanted it. She was afraid it was going to be terribly salty and need to soak some salt out. Turned out perfect, not salty at all. Nice pink ham looking color. So today she smoked it in the smoker for several hours.

Just had some tonight for supper and it turned out great. Keto smoked ham without the added sugar.

She liked it a lot too even though she is not a big fan of ham.

John

Edited by John Burns 5/7/2020 19:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)