AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NC South Dakota Conventional Corn Plot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JellyJugz
Posted 3/25/2020 13:47 (#8137962)
Subject: NC South Dakota Conventional Corn Plot

NC South Dakota
Had to quit combining Monday, getting too muddy, have another 50 acres to go, I am hoping to finish weighing the Plot Tomorrow morning, Hopefully it will freeze real good tonight and I can complete the plot.
The rest of the corn will have to wait till May when it dries out. Was able to get the PP buy up added to my ND crop insurance policy so i am happy about that!

Corn on this field was Planted from May 24th to June 3....Got stuck a few times, glad the neighbors still have 4 wheel drives!

3 gallons of Triple Nickel, 2 gallons of water, and generic capture in furrow.
Fertility was Variable Rated 4x2 with an Air Cart behind the planter.
An additional #100? of urea and some MESZ was broadcast since my meter rolls were starting to gum up and I "felt" didn't get the required rate I wanted down.....
Was a complete waste in hind-site, just like all my previous side-dressing experiments.

Previous crop on this field was Corn, all REA 4B285, Terribly full of goss, Very Very disappointed in it in 2018.
Couldn't find any Goss this year in the corn.
We were short on time so I didn't get every pass weighed and skipped over some Numbers in the plot That I didn't have interest in.

Some observations from 2019

Epley 9900 is a beast on super high fertility, likes manure and fertilizer. Probably the highest greensnap risk of theirs I have planted.
Epley 9200 was awesome, had a field do close to 200 bpa DRY, was the first field planted so the test weight wasn't terrible.
Epley 1040 was only 1#-2# lighter and had the most bushels, its good corn, I will be evaluating it on a wider scale this coming year if we can get in the field early enough.
Epley 9520 is what ill be planting at home again, more volume if we have to chop and it just seems to yield better on lighter soils like at home.
Epley 1030 sure likes heavier salty soil, low ear placement so it was difficult to combine in the snow.
Hybrid 85 92 day is not the same as Legend, hefty, or Epley 92 day corn's This year It did not do well for me or my management, have some bags left so I will try it on lighter soil at home this coming year.
As u can see I don't think I am giving up yield with Conventional corn. I purchased 1 bag of DK 43-10 and Agtegra threw in a bag of DK 45-66.
Dekalb 43-10 just seems to be such a consistently good corn, its the only corn some of my neighbors will plant, Always their best, and as u can see it did well in the plot as well. I have a bag ordered for next year.

I didn't do a formal plot on my sand this year, I had a bag of Miller 89-67BGA in a side by side and I was very happy with it. Plant looked identical to Epley 9900, 89-67 outyielded it but not Epley 9520.
I ordered a few bags for where I have some sandbur that needs to be cleaned up so I wanted the roundup trait on that tiny sandy field.

Hybrid 85's 117 day was an absolute beast for silage corn for me. Amazing drought tolerance on sand, The only corn that didn't roll on the sand hills.
The 92 like I said, didn't impress me. I have a couple others I will try.

Sureflex was kind enough to send me some Plot seed bags, Tiny bags so not enough to go a half mile, so i put them on the short end of the field...... Its a damn swamp down there so its gunna be May till it gets harvested at the earliest....
Sorry I know some of you were waiting on that.

Any other hybrids I should try next year? Plot will be on lighter soil/sand and loam next year.
Kinda would like to try a Bag of Wyffels but not sure their corn works up here.

We didn't get anywhere close to enough heat this year to show this corn's potential.
I will Be adding to the document, hopefully by this weekend.
Hope this was valuable to someone considering nongmo corn.
I do not sell seed, chemical, fertilizer, or have stock in any of these companies. Simply trying to learn how to increase profit farming.
God Bless, and Stay Healthy my friends.

Edited by JellyJugz 3/25/2020 14:05

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2019 corn Plot V1.xlsx (23KB - 368 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)