AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting progress in Ontario
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 6/12/2019 20:05 (#7555651)
Subject: Planting progress in Ontario

North of London
Had a drive of 60 or so kms to Ingersoll today.
Should have counted how many sprayers we met on our trip mostly on county roads with a short bit on highway where we also met a sprayer.

Early planet winter wheat is heading out and there are corn planters and soybean drills working all the way.
Still a number of farms with nothing done yet.

Lots of fields with ruts from spraying earlier.
Corn was in 4 stages, a few fields probably 4 leaf. Some more 2 leaf and another bunch that you could just row which would be like mine from planting last Monday and Tuesday then the final stage where tracks indicate planted but nothing above ground, probably planted last weekend and I guess there is a 5th stage and that would be the fields that are being planted today.

I notice a neighbour tilling corn stubble which they would normally plant no till. Not sure why unless they figured the weeds had so much growth they could not stop them any other way.

One area we went through showed considerable erosion probably from the heavy storms that dropped 50-100 mm of rain 2 weeks ago in some places. There were also drowned out spots in some earlier planted corn in that area.

Not a pretty countryside yet, will look better as fields green up at least until harvest begins or until we get a dry spell as many fields were planted in conditions that did not leave soil in good shape for a drought.

Oh well there is always next year and prices are rising again.
Winter wheat will get me over $250/t for harvest delivery but of course the poor crop will mean fewer tonnes to collect on or to lock price on now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)