AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is this as big a deal as it seems??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

beebe44
Posted 5/16/2019 14:51 (#7500142)
Subject: Is this as big a deal as it seems??

Southern Idaho
Trying to wrap my head around what is going on with planting progress. Forecast for 2019 was 92 million acres of corn I believe. I've been reading articles that it will probably be reduced 2-3 million. But from reading here sounds like it could be much more than that. We should have a pretty good idea by Monday won't we? So for those that think you may have an idea......How many acres will fail to get planted to corn at all?? How likely is is to be 5 million? 10 million? More? Maybe better to talk about individual states? I believe South Dakota was supposed to plant 6 million acres. Will they get 4 million planted? How about Illinois? Indiana? And what kind of reduction are we talking about in Iowa and Minnesota? From my outside perspective(Idaho) this just seems like a bigger story than what is being said. Like people are just hesitant to talk about it. Are people just afraid to get over-excited about what is happening due to all those who are negatively affected? Are people afraid to throw out numbers that seem too ridiculous to be possible? Is it still just a little too early to have a good idea? We've had a very significant bump in our local wheat price and I'm trying to figure out if we should sell now or give it another week or more. Normally I would sell now as I am happy with the current price, but I don't want to miss out on something much bigger. I may sell the rest of my 2019 wheat soon and then look at 2020. I also think we should be talking more about the possible long-term effects of what is going on

Edit to add... I'm kind of looking for those of you who don't think this is a big deal. I know a lot of people on this site tend to exaggerate or simply have extreme pessimism at times. Is there a chance that this really won't be much of a story? Where are those devil's advocates? Planting corn right now? I'm afraid I may get a little too optimistic about prices if I don't hear more from them.

Edited by beebe44 5/16/2019 15:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)