AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good thing this cow didn't calve with nature....(pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

play in the dirt
Posted 5/12/2019 16:52 (#7493269)
Subject: Good thing this cow didn't calve with nature....(pic)

south central IOWA
or else she and him probably wouldn't have made it.

Going by the cow's ultrasound last fall, she should have calved 3 weeks ago so I've been making sure to look at her everyday. Last night I noticed she had bloody mucus hanging out. Looked for a calf and didn't find any and she didn't look like she had calved. Tail just slighty out about like they do when they have mucus any other time. Gave her an hour and look again and now it's just a small amount of white membrane or mucus, hard to tell.

So, get her in the headgate to investigate. Breech calf but fortunately both legs are back. Kind of a hard pull to get the butt out but once that came, he came easy.

He's 20 hours old and has stood about a total of 10 minutes and it wasn't until this afternoon he was able to stand on his own. Tries to take a few steps but his right back leg has no movement and his left is pretty weak. Didn't hear any pop when we pulled him out so hoping it's just some nerve or ligaments that need time. He is making progress so that's a plus.

Don't know how guys kick them out on grass and check them every few days but we all have different management and I'd guess different outcomes. I'll earn it on this one I think.

(20190512_160329 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20190512_160329 (full).jpg (133KB - 68 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)