AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heating/ Cooling an upstairs room...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

hoosier_red
Posted 4/24/2019 11:56 (#7456641)
Subject: Heating/ Cooling an upstairs room...

Liberty, IN
My wife and I are expecting our 2nd child this summer, and the oldest will need to move upstairs. The issue is it has 1 vent, and is cold in the winter/warm in the summer. It is a 50s style brick home... 900 square feet main level, with a full basement. The upstairs is about 450 square feet, but the attic space above/around it is not set up great for being able to insulate it. It is a carpeted room. I did put the winterizing plastic around the 2 windows on opposite sides of the room (east/west facing) and that seemed to help in the winter but it was still in the upper 50s/low 60s most of the time. A window a/c unit can keep things relatively cool in the summer but it has to run pretty hard.

Guess my options are:
1. buy a separate heating unit for the winter (any suggestions for a room this size? electric and safe...)
2. find a cooling and heating electric unit that could be temperature controlled.....(would be beneficial for days like to day in Indiana where it is in the 70s during the day and low 40s at night)... this obviously would be more costly than number 1 and I am unfamiliar with such units
3. Add another vent through the HVAC system... most expensive but also the safest...

This room is just not energy efficient, so Im looking for any and all input on units that could help control the temperature or thoughts on upgrading the actual infrastructure of the room. I know it is a loaded question and the smartest thing to do would be to reach out to hvac person to get their input, but obviously they are going to push me towards option 3. My wife and I intend on moving in the next 3-5 years so we don't want to dump thousands of dollars into it when it won't necessarily add value to the home.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)