AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bschro250
Posted 4/15/2019 14:44 (#7440951)
Subject: New Farm

Kansas
Hello. I've got a couple of questions about starting a farm. But first ill provide a little background. I am a High School Student in central Kansas and have always loved to farm. So my grandpa is a custom harvester for silage. My dad had worked for him while growing up but eventually went to a bigger crew that also does silage. So I have been around farming all of my life and love it to death. I do have quite a bit of experience with it. I have worked for several local farmers during harvest time and some not so local farmers. I've driven grain cart a lot, drove combine quite a bit, and have done some dirt work as well. I've also had experience with some cattle as well. Whenever my grandpa's crew leaves for harvest I always feed and take care of the 75 head of cattle that he has. But onto the questions. So the only ground that could get handed down to me is the 100 acres that my grandpa has. So is it really even possible for me to start something? It seems impossible to start something with crop prices so low and equipment and land prices so high. I would hope to get into grain and cattle if possible. I would love to start a family farm that would be continued on in the family for generations to come. I understand that farming isn't looking so great as far as income goes right now. But it has been my dream forever to start a family farm. So I guess my main question here is, is it even possible for me to start a farm? If so where and how would I start? Any honest input would be helpful!!

Thanks,

Brody
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)