AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ever been drawn or felt pulled to an area and you didn’t fully realize why?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

TractorAddict
Posted 3/14/2019 05:12 (#7379310)
Subject: Ever been drawn or felt pulled to an area and you didn’t fully realize why?

West of Broken Bow
There are a couple tiny communities or what’s left of them in East Texas. I had never been down the northern portion of the remainder of a certain, well traveled farm to market road. Something kept nagging at me to find time and just go drive through there. Well, finally one chilly morning I decided to leave early before feeding the cattle and take a short trip. I just thought maybe it was natural curiosity pulling me there.

Along the way there are a couple tiny churches left and some crumbling milking parlors that are reminders of the past. A few small cemeteries here and there also tell the stories of there once being busier communities. When the railroads came through the county, they all were routed much further away. Often times, people would move to those towns with railroads, because generally that’s where more jobs would become available. These other small communities and towns without railroads simply faded away over time.

Nearly twenty years ago, I inherited a bible that had belonged to some distant relatives. Upon further examination at a later time, I learned that it was a matrimony bible given to them in 1902, on the day of their wedding. Since I can’t find a print date anywhere, it very well could be slightly older than 1902. Hard to know for sure. The name of where the wedding took place was written in cursive on a page about half way through that bible. There’s a special page for that info. It had been a while since I last looked at that page and did recall the location was hard to decipher from the cursive writing. That was last year. Just recently I looked at that page again and got to researching where the wedding took place. It finally dawned on me that the area where I had been drawn to was the exact location where my distant relatives were married 117 years ago. This was no coincidence that I ended up there. The church and other buildings are all long gone, but the cemetery remains.

Edited by TractorAddict 3/14/2019 06:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)