AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tapered Roller bearings
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Wes Miller
Posted 3/13/2019 21:10 (#7378921)
Subject: Tapered Roller bearings

Lancaster, Co. PA
I just rebuilt a jcb transmission and installed back in the machine. Working good so far but it got me thinking about tapered bearings. This transmission there is no adjustment for bearing "end float" that's what jcb calls it. I call it preload. You drop the shafts in and bolts the cases together. The shaft is not supposed to have any end play but the manual doesn't give a procedure to remedy the issue if you were to have any play.

It got me thinking about how much preload may actually be on them and how much preload can/should tapered bearings have? My dad taught me that when you tighten wheel bearings on utility trailers you make them snug and back off a little. On the other hand, I used to be a sprayer tech at an agco dealer and when we did wheel motor seals you torqued the bearings to roughly 150ft/lb. Supposedly, the bearings in JD sprayer planetary hubs get torqued to something like 2500ft/lb and it takes some insane torque multiplier according to a friend at the local deere dealer.

So really my question is whether there is a general rule of thumb when it comes to preload and at what point does too much preload increase the likelihood of failure?

I'm hoping to learn something new.

Edited by Wes Miller 3/13/2019 21:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)