AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Storm moving in, what a day.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

carlsoncl
Posted 3/13/2019 00:56 (#7376958)
Subject: Storm moving in, what a day.

Beresford, SD
Feedlot went from frozen ice to water running and sloppy aprons in 48 hrs. Water started going over the road west of my place, took wheel loader and cleared the snow from either side of the culvert.....it's running now. Low pressure and could be big rains coming. Heifers decided to lift tail today, 5 new babies since noon! Not all that much fun.....calves are getting bigger! 4 of the 5 were pulls :(. 2 were easy helps.....would have been fine on thier own, but I had chores to do at the feed yard, got it over with. During chores tonight my son called and needed help, couldn't tell who calved, and which one was in labor......got that figured out with my arm. One of the pets calved and the b!tch was in labor. Dam, she just lost her marbles! Had a very hard pull, just chains and myself. Got the calf out and she just went ape crazy. Gave her 3/4 cc of zylazine to calm her jets. Backed her out of the head gate and into the tub. Let an hour go by and she was favoring a leg....still nuts. I don't know if I pulled to hard or what but she can't stand up. She shakes her head and wobbles around like she's on crack. Gave her calf some bagged colostrum (vet gave me a free sample) and penned him up with his crack whore, lame, downer mother. Hope she's better in the am. Then tonight after a 10 pm supper had another hard pull. 85-90 pound bull calf. Hooked the chains on and of course she went down in the chute, took a chance popped the head gate open. She got up and the the second I started pulling again she laid right down and started helping me, she's a super mom with a wonderful attitude. When I left the barn he was up and searching. Got 5 dandy calves today.....4 paired up and doing well, Hope the crazy beehive is up in the am. I'm done for the day. Wife's deal at 4am.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)