AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you ask a neighbor to sell?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

diesel06
Posted 2/16/2019 15:00 (#7324720)
Subject: How do you ask a neighbor to sell?

Post about the son not getting the farm got me thinking. I have started from “scratch” and don’t own much but also work in town and farm a little bit. I have an older neighbor with 25 acres and a house and his land borders mine. He has always rented his farm which is about 20 acres tillable. I have no intentions of stealing it from the current renter who is a good family friend. What I would like to do is let him know if he ever wants to sell to get a hold of me and work out a deal before realtors/auctioneers get involved. How do you do about starting that conversation? I would even be into buying it now and letting him and his wife rent the house for the rest of their lives. I attempted this with another neighbor who I knew better before I bought my farm. She had an older house and about 12 acres. I told her I was interested in farming and wanted to buy her place since it was next to my grandmas farm. We talked but never made a deal. She got into her 90s and the kids put her in a home and took over the decisions. I visited her in the home several times and she said I should have sold you my place. In fact she said she should have given it to me. I had already bought my farm by the time that happened. I have my place paid for now so could buy the neighbors place now if needed. Just want to be tactful without saying “when you die, I want to buy your place”. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)