AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How is the young guys suppose to carry on?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Lost1
Posted 2/8/2019 20:36 (#7307570)
Subject: How is the young guys suppose to carry on?

What makes me wonder that involves some distant relatives. I have gotten 2 sides to this story and the both match. The son is 40 the dad 66 the son has always worked for the dad but has had major input etc on how things are done etc. The dad now tells the son if he wants to keep farming to buy everything which is 5.8 million. close to 600 acres and full line of equipment for that price. Now some will say the son should've been covering his tail which he did do to some degree the formed an llc which is what the dad wanted so the son could take over and make things simple. That has now been dissolved by the dad. In talking to the dad the other day he says "if he wants to make it he can do it from scratch" Now that being said if feel like the son was betrayed a bit here led to believe things were going good had game plan on transition etc. I guess my reason for this post is how on earth is the son to make that happen and what would make a father do a 180 like that? I understand the paying your way make your own path etc. but this just doesn't sit well with me. Makes me feel very fortunate for my uncle and I's relationship and him wanting to see the farm continue and make it easy for us both. I'm not trying to air dirty laundry though it may seem that way. I guess I'm wondering how a person responds if approached about this? I mean do you just tell him go get a job and move on with your life? As we all on here know farming especially with dairy (not taking away from any other farming)it's not just a job it's your life. Maybe he will just go get a job but how could a person help with that transition? How about the identity issues that may come with? I've heard that's another big issue with people who quit or worse are forced out of farming by whatever means. Thanks for a listening ear and any advise from anyone who has gone through these issues or changes. I have a feeling my cousin will be coming to me more for a listening ear and I want to help him as much as I can with out having to be worried for him doing something drastic.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)