AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Excel Spreadsheet for Feedlot Records (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

HuskerBeef
Posted 1/8/2019 23:49 (#7231215)
Subject: Excel Spreadsheet for Feedlot Records (pics)

Northeast Nebraska
I was going to post this on Budmizer's post from a few days ago, but the post has gone somewhat cold. He was looking for Feedlot Software. I do everything on Excel. It's cheap and adaptable. My workbook is far from perfect and I usually have to change a few things each year. If anyone has suggestions or comments please feel free to pick it apart. Right now it takes a few hours a month to keep all the records.

Picture #1: Purchased Products Receiving Record. I record any medication and feed as it was purchased. The total quantity and cost then help track vet and feed costs for each lot number of cattle. I have columns for the product manufacturer #, serial #, and expiration date, but so far I don't keep up with that side of things.

Picture #2: This page works behind the scenes in the excel workbook. Top left I can set the in-out dates of a pen of cattle, then select the product I want to know about and it will spit out what the cost per unit of that product was during the time period. Bottom left is the silage value estimator. I put in the cost of grain and a multiplier to give the silage cost. It also has an alfalfa/grass hay ratio calculator because we typically grind some of both together. The blue list is the product entry (used in the receiving record) and the yellow is the local monthly cash corn market used for figuring the corn cost during the pen's time in the feedyard.

Picture #3: The ration entry sheet. This is my next item to fix. Entering all the rations from the notebook in the feeding tractor takes the most time. I'm working on a few improvements to make it easier for entry, without jumping to an expensive program to automate it. The feedstuffs on the top line can be changed to whatever, then those names automatically populate the feed list in picture 4.

Picture #4: The finished report. Input purchases, sales, and deaths on the left. Facilities rates are in the bottom left. Feed automatically calculates in the top right. Yardage entries are below this, then balance sheet entries, then finally at the bottom are the results. This page needs improvements, but it works for me. I may combine the yardage costs with the facilities, but for now I like to separate it out. I just need to be better about tracking fuel and machinery if I'm going to do it this way. Most people would say the #Feed/#Gain should be dry basis because that is how a ration is figured, but I don't convert the ration back to dry basis after I enter it so that's why I have wet basis listed.

Picture #5: The Animal Health Records page. Entry for any animals treated, any medicated feed fed, or when the whole herd is processed and worked.

Like I said, it's what I have, but it's not perfect. Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by HuskerBeef 1/9/2019 07:08

(HuskerBeef-1 (full).jpg)

(HuskerBeef-2 (full).jpg)

(HuskerBeef-3 (full).jpg)

(HuskerBeef-4 (full).jpg)

(HuskerBeef-5 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments HuskerBeef-1 (full).jpg (99KB - 75 downloads)
Attachments HuskerBeef-2 (full).jpg (100KB - 51 downloads)
Attachments HuskerBeef-3 (full).jpg (153KB - 51 downloads)
Attachments HuskerBeef-4 (full).jpg (156KB - 48 downloads)
Attachments HuskerBeef-5 (full).jpg (75KB - 59 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)