AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Me and Stella super punching
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 1/5/2019 18:06 (#7222825)
Subject: Me and Stella super punching

N FLA
I had a cow that was just like Play In the dirt from a health perspective. She calved a week ago. Gone downhill since. Yesterday I forced her to walk about 1000 feet to the pen, I never actually got her there. I gave her antibiotics and banamine on the way. She has been slobbering the last couple days. We went back to check today. She was laying down with a puddle of slobber. Couldn't stand up.

So Stella and I got her week old calf. Russ had told me before that if you don't have your string you can put them in a feed sack. I brought a feed sack, caught her, and asked Stella to sit on her while I got the truck. By the time I got back she was about carrying Stella away, and she had a Figure 4 leg lock around her neck. I didn't even think Stella had ever seen a figure 4 but she was a pro at it, and the calf never got away. She sure was proud. Ric Flair would have been proud. We got the calf home. I contacted the vet and he said:

"Maybe septic as a result of a tear inside from calving or maybe retained fetal membranes would be my first guess. Likely not a good outcome despite medications"

Here is a video of her heavy breathing and slobbering
https://youtu.be/GDLcxIGVrKQ

My vet is pretty practical in that he doesn't like the vet bill to exceed the value of the animal. Which is what I typically have around here. But it might let a few fall through the cracks. Hated to see this as was a good solid mouth Hereford that gives me nice baldy calves.

I have a big bottle calf now. I should have more cows calving soon, what do you think about slipping a bottle calf on as a twinsie? Will the calf take to a cow after a week or two on a bottle? Will I sneak one on a cow pretty easily? I bought an 8m bred cow before Christmas that I will sell this spring that would be an ideal candidate.

Edited by puff33m 1/5/2019 18:09

(MVIMG_20190105_140439 (full).jpg)

(IMG_20190105_142553 (full).jpg)

(IMG_20190105_144108 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MVIMG_20190105_140439 (full).jpg (237KB - 428 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20190105_142553 (full).jpg (182KB - 428 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20190105_144108 (full).jpg (200KB - 404 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)