AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Towing a trailer with pickup in Pa?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Josh in Pa
Posted 12/28/2018 19:41 (#7202870)
Subject: Towing a trailer with pickup in Pa?

s.e. Pa
I have had a deckover trailer and 3/4 ton pickup a long time. It was getting a little long in the tooth, sold it yesterday. Looked at some new ones today. Dealer asked some questions, and got me to thinking, what do I need to be legal? I never haul for hire, but do haul some hay on it, and the stuff that a normal farmer does, machinery, supplies, seed, water tanks etc.

First surprise, I was going to buy a 12k trailer, 8 bolt axles/hubs just looked more substantial than the 10k trialer. Dealer said in Pa I need to be registered for combo if the trailer is rated 10k or more. He said 10k trailers are actually stamped 9999 to get around this. Also said the registered weight didn’t matter for this, dot would go by the number stamped on trailer. So I can’t buy a 12k trailer and register it for 9999.

What else would I need to be totally legal hauling my own stuff? Dot numbers? We live 10 minutes from Maryland and Delaware, so crossing state line is pretty regular. I see TONS of 3/4 or 1 ton pickups with trailers over 10k all over. Only ones I regularly see with dot numbers are hauling cars.

So I guess my question is, what can I do to be as legal as possible? Not for hire, not going to be over weight with a 10k or 12k trailer, just like the hubs better on the bigger one.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)