AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Equipment right for 80 acre farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

eckarsp
Posted 9/14/2018 10:30 (#6987675)
Subject: Equipment right for 80 acre farm

Long time reader first time posting here.
I've got the opportunity to work an 80 acre farm owned by a family friend who has been retired for a while. Back in the day he farmed more acreage than that (full time) but age caught up with him. The "original" farm is the 80 acres I'm referring to. The guy cash renting it now is also retiring. I used to help our friend when I was growing up (they only had daughters) and always enjoyed the heck out of the work but didn't want to rely on it to support a family. He would like to see the original 80 farmed by someone he knows fairly well, and not a big-time guy, if he had his way.
His family would retain ownership of the land and equipment and I would use/maintain it. I would be a "hobby farmer" since I have a FT job - so looking at nights/weekends during busy times. He has an Oliver 1755 and 660 remaining (also had a 120 White but that's been sold a while back).

My main question is: Would these two be enough for an 80 acre farm run by a part-time farmer? Mostly corn maybe beans & little wheat. Min till.

Additional info..... 1755 has the Waukesha been rebuilt maybe 10 years ago along with the over/under & hydraulics. Rest of the tractor is good, rear tires are probably 60% fronts I guess 80%. 660 been gone through maybe 15-20 years ago (memory is fuzzy on that one). The old guy was very diligent with maintenance & P.M., tractors kept under roof when possible. Both are in very good shape considering they're work tractors and not parade/show machines. Have the full compliment of tillage implements sized correctly for both tractors plus 4-row planter (w/Dry fert) & 10-ft drill. I will most likely do a single pass prior to planting with either the disk or field cult. Maybe deep chisel one field every year to break up compaction. Would need to have harvesting outsourced. The old Deere 4400 is more-or-less toast. He knows a couple guys that would do it, just would be after they get their stuff out. He has three gravity wagons and a sing-axle grain truck so could haul it myself. One of the girls' husband said he would be available to help if I get snowed under, so it wouldn't be a completely solo job. None of the other kids or significant other's have any interest in working the land, but want to keep it in the family at least for the foreseeable future.

I think the remaining equipment is plenty. Just looking for 2nd opinions. Thoughts?

Edited by eckarsp 9/14/2018 10:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)