AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Plastic Tags + Iron = Bad Combination
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Funacres Daughter
Posted 2/12/2018 18:59 (#6573509)
Subject: Plastic Tags + Iron = Bad Combination

Texas
I had a sweater that dried crooked, so I decided to use the steam function on my iron to straighten it out.

About halfway through steaming it, I started getting spots of what appeared to be glue stuck to the sweater. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that while the main tag on the sweater was fabric, there was also a small tag sewn onto the main tag that was composed of rubbery plastic. The small tag had melted onto the iron plate which I had then transferred to the sweater. By the time I figured out what had happened, in addition to the tag having transferred to the iron and several places on the front of the sweater, I had also gotten the sticky little tag on the ironing board cover.

After spending about an hour trying to pick the spots of melted tag off of the sweater, I discovered that the sweater had a small hole in it (not related to the melted tag). So, currently I have a damaged sweater, a cooling iron that when cooled I will get to try to remove the remnants of melted tag off of, an ironing board cover that I am hoping the washing machine will be able to rescue, and at least two hours of wasted time.

What I am hoping to learn from this experience: Before ironing, inspect garment for damage and any tags that could melt.

Edit: Spelling error.

Edited by Funacres Daughter 2/12/2018 19:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)