AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

questions about Ag Leader equipment in green machines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 9/21/2006 20:47 (#45528)
Subject: questions about Ag Leader equipment in green machines

I know it will work, but how hard is it to switch out every year?

We have been less than impressed with G* the last two years in our Deere combines and tractors. We had Ag Leader in our red machines before the green came along and got along great. We've had more trouble the last 2 years with the G* than the previous 10 with Ag Leader. So much for all the green being compatable and switchable.

We decided to go with G* because of our intent to roll the combine each year and the ability to switch the receiver from the combine to our 4700 sprayer in the spring or to a tractor if we wanted to.To say I have been less than impressed would be an understatement. Granted we have not taken the leap to G*2 but didn't want to be the first kid on the block with it. Been there too many times in the past, don't need the headaches now.

What I would like to know is how much trouble would it be to put an Insight in our combine and then take it back out at the end of harvest? Is it that much better than a G* to be worth the trouble? Ag Leader says it's "simple" but I remember how hard it was to install our first on one our red combines. Does any part of the wiring harness work for the AL equipment or do we have to run something else for it?

How about putting the Insight into the 4700 for guidance or in an 8130 for monitoring the planter and fertilizer equipment? Not looking to go to auto track or any sort of auto steer until someone comes up with a system to handle hillside contours laid out by drunken SCS reps who wanted to chuckle everytime they drove by and watched someone try to farm it.

Or do we need to go on and make the switch to G*2?

I tried to talk to tech service at Ag Leader, but the conversation was one dimensional and he would only quote company lines and not talk about what would work along the lines of any wiring in the Deeres etc.

Any comments or advice are appreciated. I don't want to start a pi$$ing match between colors, but just want honest opinions from people who have been there. Email works if you're too bashful.

Thanks,
Ray

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)