AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What I want to do
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

MNRyeGrower
Posted 8/11/2017 12:10 (#6180721)
Subject: What I want to do

Central MN

So here is what I would like to do:

Combine Yield data and NDVI or other Satellite imagery for fields to identify zones for soil sampling, fertilizer/lime application and planting.  Goal is for Variable Rate Application and Planting.

I have a GPS receiver (EZGUIDE 500) and Ag Leader PF Advantage Yield Monitor in Combine.

I have looked at SMS and have spent HOURS looking for Satellite imagery to load into SMS with no success. 

What do I need?  Every article you read and professional you talk to make sit look like it should be simple.  What am I missing?  Why can't I get SMS to import a GEOTIFF file?  What files do I need and where do I get them?  Can SMS define zones?  If not, what should I be using?  Is there a good simple application out there to do this?  I don't want all the extra field history and extra fluff that seems to exist in SMS.  Just identify fields, create GPS maps of the fields, with Yield maps and satellite (and/or other images) to eventually end up with lime and fert Rx as well as variable rate planting.

To me this seems a lot more difficult than it should be.  What am I missing?  Am I assuming it is easier than it is?

I know of consultants that do this and have not asked them yet.  I know I could use them but would sure like to try to do it myself first.  Maybe the tools needed are still way to expensive to justify for a producer?

Do I need a Drone?  A $1,500+ drone seems like a considerable amount but compared to what some consultants charge it may actually be a good investment.

Any advice (so at least I can decide to quit wasting time on it) would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by MNRyeGrower 8/11/2017 13:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)