AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Combine/Tractor CB Setup That Works
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rollig
Posted 8/1/2017 12:29 (#6161465)
Subject: Combine/Tractor CB Setup That Works

SCMN

Can anyone confirm CB setup that works for the combine and cart.  We have got by with a couple cheap $50 cobra radios and Firestik antennas but I want something a little better.  I know, I know,  get FM radios and be done with it.  That's great but I will have $400+ into each radio and I will need 4 of them.  I can buy 4 decent CB's and antennas for about the cost of one FM radio.  If I could get decent communication over a mile with line of sight that would be sufficient.  The trucks already have CB's so being able to talk with them is a plus.

1.  Can someone confirm a radio/antenna combination that works well for this application?  I'm thinking something like the Cobra 29 and Wilson 1000 Antenna.  

2.  It would be really slick to use the factory coax in our S-Series combine and R-Series Deere equipment with the NMO mount on the roof but I have had no luck with that in the past.  Could be my radio/antenna combination.  If anyone is having success using that please tell me your exact setup.

3.  What is the mounting location of your antenna, specifically on the combine.  We have a Maurer topper with extension to contend with.  I'm not opposed to mounting the antenna on the rear to get more ground plane from the metal engine covers if that would help.  Magnet mount within reach of the ladder area would be nice if the antenna is much taller than the hopper extension as our shop door is not much taller than the machine and I don't want to break it off.

4.  Anyone use SSB radios to get more range?  My understanding is that they all need to be SSB radios to use this function.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)