AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean variables field test design
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Up Nort
Posted 12/1/2012 12:40 (#2726864)
Subject: Soybean variables field test design

I would like to do some field tests this year on some soybeans. I have a couple nice big fields where I can try some different things, and am looking for ideas on how to layout the area.

One variable I would like to test is planting speed. My thoughts are to make a pass out and back at 4mph, then 5mph, then 6mph, then 7mph, then 8mph. Probably plant everything else at 5 or 6 mph.

Repeat with a higher population, then repeat with a lower population.

I am also looking at trying some different firming wheels and closing wheels. Start from one end of the seeder with 8 rows of pointed crumblers. Start a row 5 with 8 rows of different firming wheels. This would give me 4 rows of "A", four rows of "A+B" four rows of "B", and the balance of the seeder would be stock. If I found 2 crumblers that I wanted to try, or two firming wheels, I could start from the other end and create the other combinations.

This would be done with the same variety of seed. I will have other varieties in other fields, but will probably only do the speed and population variations in one field. I could run a different fertilizer treatment on half the field splitting it at right angles to the planted rows, that way the north end might have MESZ and the south half straight MAP. Or different amounts of fertilizer. We also have the option of trying different innoculant or treatments on other fields. But I don't want to get so many things going on that it confuses the results.

I don't want to turn this into a college research project, but want to do this in a manner that should give meaningful information.

Here are the questions I hope to answer. Or at least learn more about.

1. This is a new-to-me planter (1990CCS). What ground speeds are reasonable to run, and what impact does that have on yield.
2. Is there a difference (on my ground) for the different firming wheels and closing wheels.

One field, one season, one variety will not give a conclusive answer. But I hope to gain information that lets me do a better job in the future.

Does this make any sense?

Any insights would be appreciated!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)