AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bale processors?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

money
Posted 12/1/2012 06:49 (#2726291)
Subject: bale processors?

east of indianapolis
everyone is talking about grinding hay and the savings. well I was wondering how a haybuster or the vermeer with the recutter would work? Here is my thoughts I would process a few bales of corn stalks, alfalfa, and grass into 3 piles then would blend a ration with skidloader into some feeders I feed round bales in now that are square with a wood trough at the bottom. My question is how fine do these machines grind? Are the junk? Dont really want the cost of tub grinder and everyone says they are slow plus I only have 30 cows and need about 1500 lbs a day so I could mix different feed stuffs and fill feeder for maybe two days. Basically wanting some of the economic advantages of grinding.

Here is my other thought. Are we spending too much money to save money? If a guy has 40 cows can he really justify the cost of all this equipment? I know people like Garvo and others with 100's of cattle can spread the cost but can a smaller guy justify it? I bale round hay that I store in my hoop barn, so I have small loss from weather. Am I as efficent as I can afford just feeding round bales and protein tubs?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)