AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ohio State versus Michigan
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

briggsfm
Posted 11/24/2012 12:27 (#2714189)
Subject: Ohio State versus Michigan

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan
Been reading the posts related to the Michigan/Ohio State football game. I will be hoping for a Michigan win. I've lived in the state of Michigan most of my life. My father and brother went to Michigan. Dad graduated from medical school at Michigan. I was about seven at the time. Still remember President Johnson coming in over the stadium wall in a helicopter to give a speech at the graduation ceremony. So, being a fan of Michigan has sorta been "bred" into me.

But I'm not a.... "I'll die if they lose".... kind of fan. I'd like Michigan to win. But it won't put me in a bad mood if they lose. There are things much more important to me than a college football game.

But I know that's not the case for a lot of people. This game is a big deal to a lot of people. To be honest, it makes me a little nervous how worked up some people can get over these "rivalry" games. I can't help but feel, for some people, it ain't mentally healthy to get so worked up over these games. Know what I mean?

I hear people say, "I hate Michigan." Or, "I hate Ohio State." I use to think they didn't mean that literally. But now I believe, for some.....they really mean it. Sorry friends......I think that's a bit sad. Just being honest.

I remember attending a drainage school a few years ago in Ohio. It was the Overholt Drainage School. It was a week long course on topics related to proper tile drainage design and installation. Great seminar. There was about thirty of us or so. Obviously, most of the attendees were from Ohio. But there were some of us from other states too. About half way through the first day, we had to introduce ourselves. You know the routine. Say who you are, describe what kind of farming you do, and say where you're from. Up until this point I was interacting with a few attendees. Sort of what you experience at the beginning of making new friends. But after mentioning I was from Michigan.....that changed a little. Admittedly, not for everyone. But there were a few, who really didn't want to converse with me anymore. I was kind of surprised. Even if I had said I graduated from the University of Michigan, I would have been surprised by the "cold shoulders". All I said was, "I farm in Northwest Michigan". That's all it took. To be honest, I thought it was a bit silly for those few to distance themselves from the simple, fifty-some-year-old farmer that I was. Oh well. I guess it takes all kinds.

I once read where, either Woody Hayes, or Bo Schembechler.....if on a recruiting trip to the opposing State, would be sure to fill up with gas in their own State, so as not to patronize the citizenry of the opposing State. Doesn't that seem a bit extreme to you? Just a little silly?

I wonder what the Good Lord thinks about the extremes we take our "hatred" for the opposition in these rivalry games? Some of you are probably upset with me for asking the question. But I think it's a valid question. One worth giving thought to. I suppose some of you would like to "un-friend" me now. :)

gordon

Edited by briggsfm 11/24/2012 12:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)