AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tractor crossroads
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rbrentbillingsley
Posted 11/22/2012 23:34 (#2711808)
Subject: Tractor crossroads

SCKY
Recently, my 4240 who I push to its limits and burns some oil when under load developed transmission problems. Range B is out of the power quad and i believe i am looking at a lower shaft rebuild. Otherwise, this is a tight tractor. Has around 6700 hours. I had pretty much concluded I needed to purchase some cheap horsepower this winter, but the breakdown beat me to it.

My mechanical knowledge is limited and I do no major repairs on my equipment, but I know what this entails. If i rebuild the tranny, I still have an older tractor that pushes oil who i have sank a lot of money into and I am still underhorsepowered for my operation.

But, I don't want to buy a new tractor. I don't want to buy an older unit say 4440 or 4450 with 5,000+ hours because I fear I am looking at the same thing in the shorterm? 4640 and 4840's limit me to a 1,000 PTO but i have to have a 540. I don't want to spend the extra coin for a 7600-7800 either.

Used to watch grandfather invest repairs into a machine that were more than the machine was worth and it would disgust me.

I am partial to green.

Used equipment will break a man.

What would you do?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)